cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

e00084c7 read/write error

albertgernade
Level 3

Aloha!

Everyday I am running a backup for five defferent LTO tapes, one of it is experiencing an error(details below). How can I address this error?

e00084c7 - A tape read/write error has occurred. This is usually caused by dirty read/write heads in the tape drive. Clean the tape drive, and then try the job again. If the problem persists, try a different tape.

Thanks in advance.

Albert

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

A cleaning tape is a special tape and is clearly marked as a cleaning tape.

If it is only 1 particular tape that is causing the problem, then it could be a bad tape.  Try replacing it.  However, I would still clean the tape drive.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

If it's only one tape, I suggest to replace the tape with a new one.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

If you have run a couple of cleaning runs on the drive and continue to get this error, then the drive may be going bad

Download the manufacturer's test utility (Like HP's LTT - Library Test Tool) and run a few passes.  Make sure the BE services are shut down and that you select the write test

Soledad_Torchia
Level 2
Employee Accredited

Hello there!

I will recommend you to try the job with a different tape, if still having the same issue, run the tracer.exe BE utility, upload the files, so that we can determine if it's a hardware related issue. 

C:/program files/symantec/Backup exec/tracer.exe

Make sure you save it as a ".txt" file, so that I am able to read it. 

Thanks! 

Sole. 

albertgernade
Level 3

How can i run cleaning on the tape?

Thanks, 

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If you are using a stand-alone tape drive, then you just put the cleaning tape into the drive.  It will be ejected after it cleaned the tape drive which should take a minute or two.

If you are using a tape library, then you put the cleaning tape into a slot and then right-click on the slot and designate that as a cleaning slot.  You then right-click on the library and select clean.

However, as Ken said, if your tape drive repeatedly asked to be cleaned despite being cleaned, then it is faulty and needs to be replaced.

albertgernade
Level 3

Aloha,

Thanks for the reply reply. If you say cleaning tape this is just a LTO data cartridge or a special tape use for cleaning only? What we have here are 5 LTO2 tapes and a tape drive. Also, why is only 1 tape is having this error and the rest is ok?

Thanks, 

pkh
   VIP    Certified

A cleaning tape is a special tape and is clearly marked as a cleaning tape.

If it is only 1 particular tape that is causing the problem, then it could be a bad tape.  Try replacing it.  However, I would still clean the tape drive.

albertgernade
Level 3

Aloha!

Thanks for the time spent for my query :)

Hades,