cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

e000fe29 - Authentication failed on connection to the server.

Mike_Greene
Level 2
Folks, I am fairly new to Backup Exec. I recently installed Backup Exec for Windows servers on the server with my tape drive. I also installed remote agents on 2 other windows servers. The credentials DO have administrative privileges on the servers. A short while ago I had the evalution version of this software running (version 9.1). I am not sure how the evaluation version uses the credentials, but I did use the same credentials in Version 10 as I had with 9.1.

I am not really sure where to look ? I have created a new account and it fails with that as well. Our network is usiing Active Directory, and my location has a separate Organizational Unit.

I realize that this is probably a simple issue, but I have spent the last couple of days trying different accounts.

I can see the other servers from the backup server using the credentials that I used with Backup Exec. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have gone through all of the stuff that veritas suggested.

Thanks, Mike
4 REPLIES 4

Aalok_Pathak_2
Level 6
The error '0xa000fe29 - Authentication failed while connecting to server' is the BEWS error. This may occur due to insufficient access rights to the account, used for connecting to the target system . This account should have administrative privileges. You may refer following steps for configuring backup of remote machines:

1) Create a new user on the remote machine. Make newly created user a member of local Administrator group only.

2) Start Backup Exec, create a Logon account with same username and password as that of newly created user. You may refer to following:

-Start Backup Exec

-Select Tools > Wizards > Logon account wizard -Add new logon account, type in the credential for the new account.

-Make this account a common logon account.

-Complete the wizard.

3) Create new backup job by selecting remote machine and select this newly created account from window.

If while selecting the remote machine, it does not prompt for the credentials then after selecting the remote machine | select "resource credentials" | select existing logon account | click change and select the newly created logon account . You may refer to the following TechNote:

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/250649.htm

Mike_Greene
Level 2
Yea, I have tried to create a new account and set that up as the login account with no luck. All that I need to back up is a few user shares. When I "test" the credentials it always come back with access denied, however, it is interesting since if I clear the credentials while testing it comes back as successful, but when I run the job it fails again with the access denied. I assume it is using my login when I test with cleared credentials. I am really at a loss. Is there any way possible to "see" exactly what BEWS is doing when it tries to log in ?

Rucha_Abhyankar
Level 6
Hello,

You need to setup User Defined selections.

Please refer to the following technote for further information :

How to create a user-defined selection in Backup Exec 9.x and 10.0 for Windows Servers

http://support.veritas.com/docs/254193

NOTE: If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Madhuri_Shenoy
Level 6
As per our previous reply, marking the case as "assumed answered" and moving it to "answered questions" pool.