cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AOFO error

Level 2
Hi,

I am currently having a problem with the AOFO with the following errors:

Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).
Snapshot provider error (0xE0008516): Resources specified for snapshot do not have any valid data on them. Check if files were deleted or renamed.

We have 3 servers running windows 2003 (not SBE) and an exchange 2003. The remote agents are install on the remote servers and we have purchase license for both. Haven't found anything on the knowledge base specific to my problem.
4 REPLIES 4

Level 2
I am happy to supply any other infomation you may need.

Level 2
I've tried some of the recommended methods such as splitting the jobs into two, one for normal backups and one for backups of databases and exchange. The backups of normal drives completed successfully but the other job with databases and exchange box gave me this error.

Backup- BCEX01\BKUPEXEC AOFO: Initialization failure on: "Microsoft Information Store". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).
Snapshot provider error (0xE0008516): Resources specified for snapshot do not have any valid data on them. Check if files were deleted or renamed.
Check the Windows Event Viewer for details.

Shilpa_pawar_2
Level 6
Hi,

It seems that you are using AOFO for exchange database.It is not recommended to use AOFO option for database backups like Exchange or SQL.It should be used for other normal files.
Use Exchange agent for backing up Exchange database.It takes care of backing all the active or open files related to Exchange.
Kindly have a look at the following technote,

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/263784.htm

- Create a new backup job and do not select AOFO for backup of Exchange.
-Use AOFO option for backing up other normal files and revert back with necessary results

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Madhuri_Shenoy
Level 6
As per our previous reply, marking the case as "assumed answered" and moving it to "answered questions" pool.