cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

exchange 2007 backup - does GRT work?

Kremlar
Level 4
Partner

Am using BackupExec 12.5 in my small office to backup our Exchange 2007 server, destination is a Backup-to-Disk folder.  I am not using GRT because of bad prior experiences with older BackupExec versions and similar functionality - it was not reliable, and added a ridiculous amount of time to our backup jobs (to tape at the time).

Is 12.5's GRT better?  I don't expect to have the need to do individual mailbox restores often, but it would nice to have that option available.  On the other hand my #1 priority is efficient and reliable backups.

Any experiences to share?

1 REPLY 1

Lively
Level 5
It works.

My main issue was getting everything setup originally in 11D 7170.  Since I did an upgrade to 12.5, I did not have any issues getting anything setup sinyce it was working already. 

Does it add time?  Possibly, but I have never been able to not run with GRT so I do not know how much time it adds.

The B2D folders are supposed to actually work correctly in 12.5 over 11D as far as retention goes.  The thing to keep in mind is when doing restores from tape, BE will stage the Information Store you are dealing with on disk before restoring any emails.  So you may want to duplicate the information to disk incase you need to rerun the restore again.