cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

extreme slowness on backup from Mac OSX/BE for Win9.1

Vishal_Dutta
Level 4
Hello, for some reason the past 3-4 backups have taken over 9 hours for about 4 gigs. This backup used to take only 4 hours tops. No new network devices have been added, all machines are on the same subnet, connectivity, and connection times are fine. The only problem is on the server running mac osx. All other servers finish backup in less than 50 min each..most less than 20 mins...

The time used for the mac server is 4 hours+ alone.
Backup started on 3/22/2005 at 2:20:46 AM.
Backup completed on 3/22/2005 at 6:46:16 PM.
Backed up 702 files in 76 directories.
Processed 741,797,686 bytes in 16 hours, 25 minutes, and 30 seconds.
Throughput rate: 0.718 MB/min

The verify stats are as follows:
Verified 702 files in 76 directories.
0 files were different.
Processed 741,797,686 bytes in 4 minutes and 17 seconds.
Throughput rate: 165 MB/min

Running Veritas Backup Exec 9.1 for Windows servers on a win2k machine sp4..the backup never took this long until last week. The only thing that changed last week was a drive on the server that is running the backup, but the backup exec backs that server up in no time at all. I think it may be a network issue. The mac server's ethernet card is set to "auto config", is that a problem? Any help/suggestions are certainly appreciated. Thanks
2 REPLIES 2

gautam_singh
Level 3
Hi Mr. Vishal ,
ThankYou for your post.
Would have been really great if you could send the sgmon log and the bediag log.Any ways what I would have tried in this case would be to set the following :

/HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VERITAS\Backup Exec\Engine\Agents\Number of Push Agent Buffers = 50 (Default is 10)
/HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VERITAS\Backup Exec\Engine\Agents\Size of push Agent Buffers = 512 (Default is 132)
Please remember that registry changes would be done at your own responsibility.
ThankYou

Vishal_Dutta
Level 4
I actually set the lan card on the mac to 100/full that really helped. The backups are down to only about 3 or so hours...much better than before.thanks for the tip though