cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how can I just delete partial files from a media

waymoon
Level 4

What is the cleanup or policy I need to run to delete the fragments of backup (failed) from a media. The media consists of both true backup images and some fragments of failed backup images, unlike Netbackup BE doesn't cleanup the partial images of failed jobs until the retention policy runs for that media.

I want to actually release the space which are void by the unclean or partial images, how will I do that at a media level.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Depending one what type of failure (service interupptiion etc), Backup Exec will mark the media as non-Appendable and might allow restores of the data up to that point (depending on what was being backed up anyway), as such the overwrite period will still apply from your media set.

The media will thwn become overwritable when the overwrite period expires. If you want to ovewrite the media prior to this then manually move it to the scratch set.

Note some job failures will fail on one resourse in the job but other resoruces will complete meaning you would not want to overwrite the media early and this type of failure would also not block the append like a service failure would.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You cannot selective delete backups from a media.  You would have to erase the entire media.  This applies to both tapes and disk.  This is one of the disadvantages of appending to media.  If the job specifies overwrite and it fails, you can just erase the newly written media.

waymoon
Level 4

does that mean when I run a 1TB backup to a disk media, the job aborts or crashes at 500GB, the 500GB that got written in the media remains in the media until the retention policy of the entire media is effective?

I will not be able to use the space claimed by the partial image until the whole of media is erased or expired? Netbackup does immediately cleanup the partial images in the event of a failure or abrupt cancellation of a job.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Depending one what type of failure (service interupptiion etc), Backup Exec will mark the media as non-Appendable and might allow restores of the data up to that point (depending on what was being backed up anyway), as such the overwrite period will still apply from your media set.

The media will thwn become overwritable when the overwrite period expires. If you want to ovewrite the media prior to this then manually move it to the scratch set.

Note some job failures will fail on one resourse in the job but other resoruces will complete meaning you would not want to overwrite the media early and this type of failure would also not block the append like a service failure would.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Yes to both your questions.

Remember you are paying a lot more for NBU.

waymoon
Level 4

ok :) thanks