cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how do i backup a catalog?

jv10961
Not applicable

hi there,
i guess my question is quite easy but i couldnt find an answerin the manual so far:
i have backuped my data to tape including check. now i want to be able to load the data on a different backup system, same software of course...
is all information stored on the tapes or do i need some files from the original backup-machine copied to a cd or something?
thanks for your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
All the information is there on tapes. On the other server, you simply would need to run a catalog job to recreate the catalogs on disk, so that you can start with restore. But, this would be a lengthy process. So, it is always good to have the on-disk catalogs protected. These catalogs are typically locted under c:\program files\symantec\backup exec\catalogs folder. So, it would be advisable to retain a good copy of this folder, so that in case of disaster, you can build a new server and simply copy this folder over to the new server, and you will not need to run catalog operation separately and that saves your time. So, to summarize we have two copies of catalog, one on tape and one on disk. Catalogs on disk are required for restore. If lost, you can run catalog job on tape to get them back.

Please mark it a solution, if this is useful.
Thanks

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
All the information is there on tapes. On the other server, you simply would need to run a catalog job to recreate the catalogs on disk, so that you can start with restore. But, this would be a lengthy process. So, it is always good to have the on-disk catalogs protected. These catalogs are typically locted under c:\program files\symantec\backup exec\catalogs folder. So, it would be advisable to retain a good copy of this folder, so that in case of disaster, you can build a new server and simply copy this folder over to the new server, and you will not need to run catalog operation separately and that saves your time. So, to summarize we have two copies of catalog, one on tape and one on disk. Catalogs on disk are required for restore. If lost, you can run catalog job on tape to get them back.

Please mark it a solution, if this is useful.
Thanks