cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to make a job sensitive to "media label"?

Ali_sot
Level 1

Hi, I have to have media set with a period of about 1 year for appending and not to overwrite because I change the media and I have to save the media, so is there any way to force a job to backup data only on the specific media in the setting or even by set some command before or after job?

for example a media for even days of week and a media for odd days of week

1 REPLY 1

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

You can restrict the job to a specific slot in a library by using Partitioning and then have a human admin make sure the correct tape is in the slot at the required times, but there is no way to force BE to always use a tape based on it's label - the following is what I posted recently in another thread about tape selection choices during overwrites (appends always go to an appendable tape in the media set and if more than one tape meets this requirement I think they use the earliest last written to timings to select):

-------------------

Other than targetting partitions there is no simple (i.e. easy to avoid human error)  way to fix BE to use a specific tape (cartridge) - there is a chapter in the admin guide that covers how an overwritable tape is chosen (when one is needed) as you can adjust the selection order based on settings.

At the end of the day Backup Exec is designed to try and find a suitable tape to write to, whenever one is needed, this is because to most customers running (and completing) the current backup is more critical than exactly what tape it ends up being written to. In the scenario where you expect your backup to complete but have a  disaster while the backup job is asking for a tape, you could lose a day's worth of data just because you stopped Backup Exec from using any suitable, available tape.