cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to purge the list of backups still availables?

papali
Level 3

Hi all, one external hard disk where I do the full backup is broken, lost everything, but there is no problem, had the backups already very old.
The problem is that if I try to retrieve a file via the Restore job, I still see as available backups made on that hard drive.

Question: How do I delete all backups made on that disk and that are listed as still available?

I use BEX 2010 SP3 Rev. 5204 on Windows 2008 Srv Std 64b.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Well if you don't use tapes and are already familar with re-cataloging the disks you do still have then you could empty the catalogs folder (move the files and folder out to a temp folder, don't delete them) , restart the BE services and then run catalogs jobs against your disks again.

Note again: for anyone reading this on BE 2012 or newer do not do this as DLM could be negatively affected.

The previous comments I made were on the assumption that you might be using tapes or not be able to get all your disk online eaily to run new catalog jobs (and to be honest thart proces woudl normally need a support case due to the complexity)

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Colin_Weaver

It is down to catalog content - it might go away of you indentify the media name (so BKF file or IMG folder) and then retire and delete the media in the BE console

If this does not make it go away then you have a more tricky time in identifying and removing catalog files manually and you can't just remove them all as that will affect backup sets that are still valid against media that still exists.

You can search the content of the text based XML files in the catalog folders for media labels which will give you the XML and FH file names but be careful with any deletions (better to move than to delete )

Oh and for anyone using Backup Exec versions 2012 and later as DLM depends on the catalogs you should really get formal technical assistance as a mistake with DLM might erase important data early (a mistake with 2010 R3 and earlier might be correctable with a catalog job)

papali
Level 3

I confess it is not very clear what to do, but I understand that there is no automated procedure to do this, however I have to manually search in the catalogs (file .xml) all references to backups of this broken external disk, write down the names of the media and then from the menu MEDIA, move them to the section RETIRED, right?

BUT UNFORTUNATELY, this is a server that I just had to reinstall since the previous instalation/server had problems at the operating system level, and did not have a backup of the configuration of BEX, so I did a clean install. Then, I inventoried and cataloged all external disks. Here all OK.

Then one of external disk is broke.

Consequently, I did not the old catalogs.

An alternative solution would be to reset all inventary / catalogs and do it again?

Colin_Weaver

Well if you don't use tapes and are already familar with re-cataloging the disks you do still have then you could empty the catalogs folder (move the files and folder out to a temp folder, don't delete them) , restart the BE services and then run catalogs jobs against your disks again.

Note again: for anyone reading this on BE 2012 or newer do not do this as DLM could be negatively affected.

The previous comments I made were on the assumption that you might be using tapes or not be able to get all your disk online eaily to run new catalog jobs (and to be honest thart proces woudl normally need a support case due to the complexity)