cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to remove old servers from dropdown in "Connect to Media Server" dialog

Mark_Bax
Level 3
I often check/manage my backup server by running BE on my desktop and connecting to my media server.

Once you make a connection this way, it appears that it is forever after displayed in the server dropdown.

Well, I have 3 entries there - 2 of them refer to servers that no longer exist in the domain. I'd like to remove them from the list - how can I do that?

I've looked in INI files, xml files, the regsitry, etc - all the usual suspects - but to no avail.

I'm sure there must be an easy answer to this - I just can't find it!

Thanks!
6 REPLIES 6

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello,

- When you say connection remotely to the media server, do you mean with Remote Desktop protkoll or with the Remote Admin Console of Backupexec.?

- Where exactly do you see the 3 entries of servers?

Please get back to us with more Details.

Thanks
Regards

Mark_Bax
Level 3
Hi Amruta,

Thanks for responding. I mean in the Remote Admin Console of Backupexec; there is a drop-down list of "recently used" backup/media servers at the top of the login form.

It is this list that I'd like to edit - to remove old server names. It's not a big deal, but if I accidentally choose an old server that no longer exists, I have to wait for a network timeout (perhaps a minute or so) before I can select the correct server and move on.

Thanks!

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello Mark,

The following technote will help you in removing the old media server entries:

How to remove a server from the Backup Exec Remote Administrator "Connect to server" drop-down list
http://support.veritas.com/docs/230872

Mark_Bax
Level 3
Thank you ... this helped.

But I found that my description was not 100% accurate. The list contained 3 servers:
1) a very old server that no longer exists (the procedure removed this one)
2) the new server that is now the only BE media server in the domain
3) a server that still exists in the domain, but is no longer used as a BE media server (the tape drive has been moved to the new server) - this one still appears in the list, even though I have shut down an disabled the BE services on it.

Is there any way to remove (3) from the media server drop-down list?

Thanks!

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi,

On the server 3 you only deactivated the BE services but did not uninstall BE software ?

-- Have you tried removing this server entry as given in the Technote
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/230872.htm

Update us on the same and revert for any further Query

Thank you
Gauri

Mark_Bax
Level 3
Hello,

Yes, I tried that procedure and it removed the very old entry, but left one remaining. I ran it again, and now it has removed all old entries - Thanks!

Emby