cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hp storageworks 1/8 tape autoloader not seen by backup exec 11d

Desdichado914
Level 2
I have a hp storageworks 1/8 library connected to our Windows 2003 server via a SAS controller.  Veritas thinks that this is a single drive connected with a USB cable.  I loaded the latest Veritas drivers and there was no change.  I also tried the HP drivers also with no success.  Backup Exec thinks that this is a stand alone drive.

What do I need to do to get Veritas to recognize the library?
7 REPLIES 7

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Does Windows Device Manager see the Library?

Did you specify AutoLoader support when you installed Backup Exec?

Michael_Ellis_2
Level 5
Backup Exec by default is only licensed for a single tape drive.  Did you purchase the Library Expansion Option?

Desdichado914
Level 2
Device Manager sees a "multifunction adapter" that may be it.  Otherwise, Windows just sees the drive.

I don't remember if I specified the autoloader spt during the install.  We didn't buy the library expansion option since we have only 1 drive.  Do we need to buy it?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
An LEO would only be required for more than one drive in a loader or more than one loader.

If Windows doesn't see the loader, then BackupExec won't either

If you shut down all the BackupExec services, does NTBackup see and access the loader?  Have you tried running the latest  Driver Pack?

As for the question about whether you specified Loader Support.  One loader with one drive is supported under the base serial, but IIRC you must specify loader support during install to actually use the loader

Desdichado914
Level 2
What exactly does IIRC mean?

When I g through the device config wizard, I get the message that BE thinks the drive is attached on a USB cable.  From what I read, BE should correctly recognize the hardware. 

What do I have to do in BE to fix this?

Desdichado914
Level 2
I previously installed that driver update that was in the link in your reply.  Even that supports the drive and SAS connection.  I am pretty well stumped on this one.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
What exactly does IIRC mean?

It's a hold over from the old BB (BulletinBoard) days when at 2400 or 4800 Buad, every key stroke was precious

IIRC         If I Recall Correctly
AFAIK      As Far As I Know
FWIW     For What It's Worth
IMHO       In My Humble Opinion
IMNSHO  In My Not So Humble Opinion  
YMMV      Your Milage May Vary