cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iSCSI disk devices

ITMngr
Level 3
Partner Accredited
Hi, I want to know if my iSCSI storage device is supported to do backup to disk. The HCL is not very clear.

We have an MD3000i from DELL and a ST2510 from Sun, we use one of them to store information and we want to use the other to create backups, but... can anyone told me if these devices are compatible with BEWS 12.5 ?

6 REPLIES 6

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Backup Exec 12.5 supports MD3000 for Backup to disk folder, ST2510 and MD3000i do not show in the hardware compatibility list. You can find hardware compatibility list in following url:
ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/Backup_Exec_for_WindowsNT/306831.pdf

Please look at section for backup to disk folder-> B2D-> Sun/Dell for supported devices. Please note that you may test your devices and they may work, there is no official support on the devices you have mentioned.

Please mark it a solution, if this is useful.
Thanks

ITMngr
Level 3
Partner Accredited
Thanks four your commnets.

In the B2D only appears Direct Attached Disks, using protocols like CiFS or SAS but not iSCSI.

thanks anyway.

Ray

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified
 Are you mounting your iSCSI disks to the Operating System as a drive letter (using an iSCSI initiator) or are you expecting Backup Exec to directly support iSCSI?

Backup Exec itself does not contain any iSCSI access software so you need to make sure the OS sees it as a mounted drive (emulating a SAN attached disk) in order to use it.

ITMngr
Level 3
Partner Accredited
yes I'm gonna use the microsoft iscsi initiator.

Philip_D
Level 5
I do differentials to an iSCSI device (using an iSCSI initiator), so yes, it can be done.

teiva-boy
Level 6
iSCSI works fine in my experience.  If Windows can see it, and you can format it, it generally works. The MD3000i is no exception.