cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

implement Backup to disk

Tech24
Level 2
Hello,

We are changing our backup strategy from tape to disk based.. we used Symantec backup exec 10d.. I already have started but I'm not totally cleared on how to configure the new scenario..

Actually we perform a daily incremental backup (to tape) Monday – Friday which are overwritten every 6 days... and full one on weekend that we overwrite every 4 weeks (i.e. the 1st week job is kept until the 1st week of the next month....). We'll continue with this strategy, but to configure it to disk I had to create 5 jobs (for the daily ones) and 4 jobs for the weekly.

Has anyone implemented backup-to-disk backup? How did you do it? I would like to have some guidance and examples to confirm if I'm working in the right way...
Can you help me?
Thanks
1 REPLY 1

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
I'd simply do the following:

Create a selection list for the data you wish to backup.
Create a B2D location (device) to store your backups
Create a media set called dailies, which has an Overwrite Protection Period of 6 days, and an Append Period of 1 day.
Create a media set called weeklies, which has an Overwrite Protection Period of 4 weeks, and an Append Period of 1 day.
Create a new policy.
Add a template to the policy which performs full backups, targetting the weeklies media set. Set the schedule to be each Saturday.
Add a template to the policy which performs incremental backups, targetting the dailies media set. Set the scedule to be each weekday.
Apply the policy to the media set you created in step 1.

That will (roughly) replicate what you do to tape. It's fairly straightforward to modify the policy and the templates if needed, and if you still want to backup to tape (for example to take offsite), then it's simple to add a duplicate data template to the policy.