cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

impressively slow backup

jhanson
Level 3
I'm backing up to a Dell PV-124T autoloader with an IBM ULTRIUM-TD3 tape drive. With the default settings, the backup runs at 3 MB per minute. Based on some suggestions I found in the forums, I made some changes to the device properties: I turned up the buffer size and buffer count significantly, left the High Water Count at its default of zero, and turned off "Write single block mode" and "write SCSI pass-through mode." This causted the speed to increase to about 14 MB/s. So I tried maxing out the buffer size and buffer count, and it might have gotten a little faster, but not much. From what I've seen from other users, it should be backing up at 1000 MB/min or more, right?

Actually, the displayed backup speed always starts at more than 1000 MB/min, and quickly slows down. I assume that's a quirk in the way the software calculates the average rate, but it might give a hint as to what's going on.

I get the same low speed whether I'm backing up the computer running the software, or another computer on the network. Anyone have any ideas what could cause this?
5 REPLIES 5

OGS
Level 4
We are using the same Library and average just under 1000 MB/min. Have you tried running a job in which data is 'backed up' from a previously written tape, to a new tape ?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Network backup or local backup?

if you shut down all BackupExec services, what kind of throughput do you get with NTBackup?

Have you run a couple of passes of the manufacturer diagnostics against the drive?

R_H_2
Level 5
What SCSI card are you using?

Make sure it meets the minimum SCSI spec (U160, U320, et cetera), is non-RAID, you have the latest drivers for it, and you have disabled Domain Validation in the card's BIOS.

That will either tell you that you have a SCSI problem or rule it out...

Message Edited by R H on 07-03-200703:15 PM

jhanson
Level 3
Well, the solution was indeed a straightforward one. I updated the SCSI card driver, and the backup now flies along at 2000 MB/s!

R_H_2
Level 5
Excellent!  Glad to hear it!

Thanks a lot for posting the fix!

Message Edited by R H on 07-05-200710:19 AM