cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

incomplete catalog

Todd_McGuiness
Level 2
When I catalog a tape for a restore job I am getting the message that the media was not listed in the catalog's media index. It tells me that everything will be fine if I run an inventory but I get the same message after a successful inventory. I've inventoried the tape and the entire library to no avail.

I think the problem is that I don't have all the tapes I need. I knew I would need to restore this data so two years ago, I checked which tapes I needed to run the restore and held them aside. I'm afraid that the restore wants the entire tape set which of course no longer exists.

The original backup was an exchange 5.5 mailbox running windows 2000 using bexec 9.1 (I think) and now we are running exchange 2003 on the same box. We converted to AD so this particular mailbox and account are still in existence from when the backup was made. We still have the same hardware but the os is windows 2003 and exchange 2003 and bexec 10.

I'd really appreciate any help!
3 REPLIES 3

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Even it you had all the tapes, I think that you would be SOL. I don't think you can restore a 5.5 mailbox to 2003.

if it is possible, about all that you could try would be to uncheck the "Use Media Based Catalogs" box when running the catalog job.

Barnaby
Level 3
Employee
Ken is right. You cannot restore Exchange 5.5 in to Exchange 2003 directly. Even if you had all the tapes it would not work. The only way you can do ti would be to install a 5.5 server, restore the data and then migrate that new server to 2003 and import that info into your main 2003 Exchange server.

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

As pointed out already, it is not possible.
Firstly you have mentioned that all the tapes are not present.
Secondly, exchange 5.5 to 2003 information store restore cannot be done.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Regards.