cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

lost backup history backup exec 2012

bhc
Level 4

Hello All,

I have to admit I am another user who really does not like 2012. To the point that I am considering going back to 2010.

I have been looking at my backup logs today and testing the restore. I have noticed that our main server has been backuping up file, but when you go to restore there is nothing!

Looks like that this one server has no inventory. How do I get the inventory back, why is there nothing? 

18 REPLIES 18

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Could be that the age-old problem of BE choosing a random restore date has reared its head again.

When you restore, choose a date a day or 2 before as the start date, and then choose the date on which you'd like to restore your data. See if this helps you.

Thanks!

bhc
Level 4

I have selected a 4 month range. 

The only data that comes back is in April, the time we were on 2010. 

This is really serious since it means we cannot restore this server? 

pkh
   VIP    Certified

In the Storage tab, when you click on the storage media for the jobs in May, do you see the backup sets for May?

bhc
Level 4

I do not..

I for some reason only see one computer listed in there as well.

When I do a restore, the other computers return there recent backups. Its only the main server (the server that the media server runs on) that does not return anything

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You should check that the backups for the main server runs correctly and that there are no errors.  If the jobs are run correctly without errors, then check that you have set the retention period for a sufficiently long time for your purpose.

Also, just after a successful job, check the joblog to see what media is used, then go to your disk and check whether that media actually exists.

You might also want to try a small job just backing up a single file on your main server.  See whether you can see the media containing this file.

bhc
Level 4

thank you for the reply pkh.

I have also backup some important files on the same server. This is also missing from the catalog. The backup logs shows good backups with no errors. 

I'm worried about this!

bhc
Level 4

can anyone help? 

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

can you find a recent backup, determine what tape was used, then catalog that tape?  sounds like you may have a catlog issue.

bhc
Level 4

I put an old tape in the drive.

I then right clicked the tape drive and clicked "Catalog" but it did not add anything. 

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Do the following to see whether your catalog directory is having problems

1) stop all BE services

2) rename the Catalog directory under the BE installation directory to Catalog-old

3) start all the BE services

4) run a job to backup a small directory

5) check whether you see the backup set from this job and whether you can restore from this backup set.

bhc
Level 4

I am having soooo many problems with backup-exec!!

I now cannot "edit backups" it says

"Unable to retrieve the backup information, Unknown reason: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.."

I then get Queryfail, lots of additional information and the it crashes.

Next thing:

I renamed catalogs to .old. Put a old tape in, and clicked Catalog. I can see a .fh and .xml file in the Catalogs folder, but when I now click restore. The whole window is completely blank, so I cannot select anything.

This problem is very serious it is putting our business at risk. 

bhc
Level 4

anybody

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

You can probably fix the inability to edit jobs by closing and reopening the BE GUI.  If that fails, you may need to restart BE services, or possibly reboot the server.

Restarting BE services may also fix your catalog issues.

nilesh_dhakras
Level 3
Employee

Hi,

I am not sure I understand the problem correctly. Are you trying to restore old data of a server? Or are you saying that, new backup jobs in BE 2012 are succeeding but restore view of the server is not showing anything?

Could you try to create a new backup job (just for test) on that server, and make it run now and see what happens? If possible, please attach job log for this backup job, and also the screen shot for the restore (where you are not seeting anything).

bhc
Level 4

ok i got so many problem I do not know where to start.

The server is running the latest service pack.. and have restarted the server.

First problem. If I click "edit backups" I get these two prompts. The software crashes and closes itself. 

This is doing it on every server I click.

Second problem..

I can see I had a 100% backup on the 22/05. For starters, I couldn't see anything. With a fresh catalog folder, all I can is a backup on the 11/06/2012 and 09/06/2012. 

So to verdict, I cannot see my backuped up jobs in restore and I cannot edit any server backup jobs. 

Carlos_Quiroga
Level 5
Employee Accredited

Please make sure you upgrade your system to Service Pack 1a.

I have seen this issue on other Customer cases (the problem with editing backup jobs). Or remove Service Pack 1 - not really recommended.

Kind regards,

bhc
Level 4

I am running service pack 1A. The problems have not gone away.

bhc
Level 4

anybody