cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

managed media server stopped backing up remote BE server

rpcblast
Level 4

Ok here is my setup.  All servers involved are BE 2010 R3 fully updated.  On my end, I have a 32 bit server as the central admin server, and one managed media server that is also my exchange 2010 server(64 bit).  I had to do it this way because of needing a 64 bit BE server to backup exchange 2010.  I do inhouse backups, and backups for a client.  The 32 bit server backs up everything but exchange from the client(which is connected via a non natted ipsec VPN link with no firewall rules between the servers), and my exchange/managed media server handles exchange.  It worked fine until a couple weeks ago.  All my in house backups work fine, and the remote backups of the non exchange stuff works fine, but the remote backup of the client;s exchange server does not work.  The client is also running BE 2010 R3.  I keep getting the error that the media server cannot connect to the remote agent.  I attempted to recreate the backup job with no success.  When I create a job to just backup a file on the client's server, and originating from the managed media server, it works, so I dont think it is a network issue or an agent trust issue. 

The clients remote server is server 2008 R2 running in vmware(but im not doing vmware level backups), and they do local backups also using BE which works fine).  It is a domain controller, and exchange/file server.  The 32 bit server here is running Server 2003 R2 enterprise, and my managed media server is running 2008 R2, and is an exchange server. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

rpcblast
Level 4

ok heres what I did.  I just simplified my setup.  I removed the 32 bit backup server all together and just built a 64 backup server VM, using a shared external drive from the other physical server for my Backup to Disk.  Seems to be working fine now.  Thanks for the advice.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

BE 2010 R3 will back up Exchange 2010, but the media server needs to be installed on an x64-bit OS.

Only way around this would be to upgrade your media server to Windows Server 2008 R2, or install BE on your Exchange server.

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Did you check that all the BE services, especially the remote agent service, is running correctly on the problem server?

Have you tried recreating the Exchange job on the managed server?

rpcblast
Level 4

i know you have have x64, thats why I installed BE as a managed media server on my exchange box.  I have trouble adding any servers to the selection list on the managed media server, besides itself.  But when I create a job that backs up some random file, creating the job on the central admin server but having it use the managed backup server, it works fine, so i dont think its a connectivity problem. 

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Are the other remote servers publishing to managed media server in question?

Regards....

rpcblast
Level 4

yes.  Some backups work from the managed media server if created on the central admin server, it just appears that the only thing that wont work is exchange backups from my managed server of the client's server.  i do know its not an authentication issue. 

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

OK, so if you're running a CASO environment, do the following then:

1. Remove the server from the CASO environment and readd it. Try backing up again, but change the location (during the addition to the CASO) of the media and catalog information to the local server, and make sure all the services are started. Try the job again...

2. Remove the MMS from the CASO and run the job normally. See if it succeeds.

3. Is your MMS a physical server, or a VM, and where are your backups going to? Disk or tape? If it IS a VM, you need to check out the details for running BE on a VM as the 1 requirement for instance, if backing up to tape, would be an Adaptec SCSI card.

4. Patch your MMS and the CASO server with any available patches.

rpcblast
Level 4

ok heres what I did.  I just simplified my setup.  I removed the 32 bit backup server all together and just built a 64 backup server VM, using a shared external drive from the other physical server for my Backup to Disk.  Seems to be working fine now.  Thanks for the advice.