cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mssql$bkupexec service account and MBSA

Steve_SSB
Level 3
I looked over the posts and could not find a definite answer to my question.  We recently began running MBSA on our servers and the report shows that the MSSQL$BKUPEXEC and SQLAgent$BKUPEXEC services are logged on as LocalSystem accounts, but MBSA suggest that they not run under this account.  Backup Exec is loaded on a Domain Controller and I tried to create a new service account to run these services under, but I kept getting an Access Denied error.

My question is, do these services have to run as the LocalSystem account, especially on a Domain Controller, or can they run under a different user with lesser privelidges? (ie. Domain User only....).  Is anyone running these under anything other than the LocalSystem account, with the software running on a Windows 2003 Domain Controller?  I see a number of posts that suggest doing this, but can't find anything that says it's required.  I haven't tried running it under a Domain Admin account, because that wouldn't really solve my problem.  I'm trying to run it under an account with minimul access, if it's even possible.

Thanks in advance,

Steve
1 REPLY 1

Steve_SSB
Level 3
I forgot to mention, I'm using 10d.