cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new to BackUp EXEC

jnicita
Level 2

Just recently took over a new overland 2 drive library. Really just interested in running a weekly full backup on Friday, with incrementials run the rest of the week. I am not interested in restoring a "daily" from the previous week. What would be the best way to do this.

I understand since I have the library option and 2 drives, that I will need to split my selection up into "2" weekly  jobs, and will need to create 2 incremential jobs as well.

Starting out with creating a backup selection list since its the same data reguardless of full/inc. What would be the best way to setup the jobs so that I can do this. I have 30 tapes (400/800) but again, am not interested in being able to restore to anything other than the most recent full, Any suggestions on where to start.

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

I understand since I have the library option and 2 drives, that I will need to split my selection up into "2" weekly  jobs, and will need to create 2 incremential jobs as well.

Not at all.  Two drives just means that you can run two jobs at the same time.  Just point all your jobs at the library rather than at a specific drive

If your backup window permits, I'd suggest a DIFF rather than an INCR for daily.  That being said -

Two jobs using the same selection list

Daily - Type Diff/Incr  Media set DAILY, OPP = 6 days Overwrite only

Weekly Type Full, Media set WEEKLY, OPP (however long you need to keep weekly data - one day.  If you need to keep data for a month select 34 days etc) Overwrite Only

Frm Tools\Options\Media Management verify that protection is set to FULL or PARTIAL and that the option to "use overwriteable media in the target media set before scratch media" is selected

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

You need to install a Library Expansion Option license inorder to use two drives in a robotic library at a time. With the default license you can use only one drive at any given time.

Regards... 

jnicita
Level 2

Thanks, I will take a look at the DIIF vs INC. But let me get back to the job setup.

(fwif/fyi: We have the mulitple drive option)

I have the devices configured and partitioned. Its a 30 tape library, so I have 4 partitions, slots 0001-00020 (weekly tapes), slots 0021-0025 (daily tapes), slots 0026-0028 (slots for a dev server), and slot 0029 for cleaning media. 

Of course, each partition has both tape drives assigned to it, I have been pointing my jobs to the specific partition.

my weekly points to the first partition, my daily's point to the daily parititon. I am under the impression that I am doing like you say, and pointing to the library (although a little more specific as I am allowing only media in those slots to be used for specific job). When I had originally setup the jobs to backup remoteserver/e: and remoteserver/f: in one job, it would send the job to one drive in the partition, it wouldnt split the backup across two tapes. When I setup the job as remoteserver/e: and a 2nd job of remoteserver/f:, a job gets sent to each drive allowing the backup to complete twice as fast. (we only have 1 server with 2tb e: and 2.5tb f: ciffs shares), as I type this, it makes even more sense to me that I am confussed (that was supposed to be funny). Are you saying that the job should thread itself across 2 drives at the same time?

dsi1
Level 3

We have a HP StorageWorks 1/8 G2 Tape Autoloader, since i upgraded the firmware of the autoloader, BE 12.5 seems to not recognizing it even though the media are identified in the robotic library slots but are not listed in the media.  and when i issue an inventory, it just sits there, no errors... the media server turn green and off....please advise.  been fighting this for a week now.

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi,

BE can't use two tape drives to write one job's backup data. Only one drive will be used for one job. 

we only have 1 server with 2tb e: and 2.5tb f: ciffs shares

If you create a single job with both the shares, only one drive will be used. If you split the job into two, then BE will use one drive for each job so that your backups will complete faster.

Regards....