cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

not understanding policies

Shankaran_Shanm
Level 3
Currently we have jobs setup up for our weekly / daily to DISK, and then a job that duplicates to tape. it's 1 duplicate job per to disk job, so 6 different jobs. What is the advantage of using policy (ppolicies). I have everything setup now and it runs great, but if I move towards policies i don't understand the benefit.
3 REPLIES 3

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

Backup Exec 10.0 has added the use of Policies to enhance the ability to easily manipulate multiple jobs. Policies provide a method for managing backup jobs and strategies. Policies contain job templates, which are job attributes that define how and when Backup Exec processes a job. Templates specify the devices, settings, and schedule for a job, but do not include the selections to be backed up. To create a job, combine a policy with a selection list.

Note:- if we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be assumed answered and archived.

Shankaran_Shanm
Level 3
but given the circumstances I am in how is this goin to help me

Shilpa_pawar_2
Level 6
Hi,

Policies can be used for setting relationships between jobs. Polices are reusable, so you can create a single policy and combine it with several different selection lists.
After you combine a selection list with a policy, Backup Exec automatically creates a job for each template in the policy. For example, if a policy contains three templates, Backup Exec will create one job for each template, for a total of three jobs.

For more information on policies, please refer admin manual pg 361:
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/279401.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.