cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ANSWER COMPRESSION ISSUE PLEASE

Simon_Butt
Level 3
Software compression used to work just fine now it does not. My last two posts have been unanswered. If you want more details I suggest reading them.

It is someone's job to answer these posts right?

Thanks.
5 REPLIES 5

Amorphous_Sage
Level 4
Hi, there is no answer. Remember that the replies from Symantec stafff here are not really here to troubleshoot (unfortunately) - rather to just point towards existing Knowledge Base articles that they look up.

This 'non compression' is a bug in 9.0/9.1 and I have seen people saying the same in 10. Given this I feel it may be related to a dependency in Windows perhaps - its hard to say. Review the forum - at least 5 people have reported this in the last few weeks.

Whatever, there will be no answer from the Symantec helpers here untill the actual support side of Veritas get the message.

I was speaking to a friend who works for a hosting company - with full Veritas support etc. - re another issue and she told me that their problem came back from Veritas as 'we can't replicate this issue, so we are closing the support call'. Excellent!

Im loosing confidence in this product and with Veritas (now Symantec) having used it for 10 years now - I started with v6 and NT and it worked fine - and all the way up to 8.6.

But just looking at the volume of what appear to be basic issues with 9/9.1/10 that seem completely unresolved and repeat time and time again on these forums leaves me with little faith in this product now. Backup is one of the most important functions and if you don't have any confidence then you need to look to alternative products.

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

What is the total backup job size?

How much compression you are getting?

Please elaborate the query to troubleshoot it further.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Simon_Butt
Level 3
The total backup size is about 30gigs. I am getting zero compression. I am using software compression. I used to get close to 2:1. Now I get zero.

I am currently splitting the backup job into two jobs backing up half the server each night. I don't want to do this for much longer so if you would get back with a solution I would appreciate it.

If you need more information please read all the other compression issue posts as there is quite a bit of information in them.

Thanks

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi,

-What typt of data are you backingup ?
*file server ? or any database files ?

-does the device support compression ?

Update us on the same and revert for any further Query
Hope this will help you

Thank you
Gauri

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Gauri - Please read the post, do not just scan it.

What typt of data are you backingup ?

The job has not changed and he now is getting zero where before he got almost 2:1, so what difference does the type of data make. It used to compress, now it does not

-does the device support compression ?

He is using SOFTWARE compression, read the post