cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

offsite tape backup set up

ex5o5er
Level 4

I have a task that I am sure most are doing.  However, I have yet to find a suitable resource to get started.

Now that I have my backup jobs working on site, I would like to take one tape home each night with the previous night's backup jobs (or perhaps once a week).  I have noticed that for each night of backups, a different tape is used for each job.  Plus for each job, a different tape is used for each night.

I am using Backup Exec 2010 R3 with an HP 1/8 G2 Autoloader.  Currently, I have six LTO-4 tapes in the autoloader.  I am running 4 backup jobs that backup files, databases, exchange and system states each night.  All the jobs can easily fit on one tape since the total backup is about 360GB.

I am wondering if there are any resources (tutorials or videos) of how to do this in the best way.

I am thinking that I could create 5 sets of jobs (one for each night) with each assigned a different media set (tape).  This would amount to 20 jobs - this seems a little complex for what I want to do.  I have been trying to understand the concept of vaults but am unsure if this where I want to go.

As a new user of Backup Exec, any help you be greatly appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

I have noticed that for each night of backups, a different tape is used for each job.

Do you mean that multiple tapes are used each night?  If so leave the first job of the night as an Overwrite, and edit/change the remaining jobs to Append (using the same media set as the first job. 

I am thinking that I could create 5 sets of jobs

Since you are doing all fulls, you would need only one set of jobs, run every night 

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You should not be overly concern about with data goes onto which tape.  With an autoloader, it is better to let it and BE manage the tape for you, rather than manage the tape yourself.  See my article below.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/must-mondays-backup-be-monday-tape

That said, the minimum number of jobs that you need each night is two: One, with AOFO off, which will backup databases and Exchange and the other, with AOFO on, to backup your files and the system state.  It does not matter which one starts of first.  The first job should specify overwrite and the second job should specify append.  You can have one media set with AP = 12 hrs and OPP = days.

For your second job, you should use a policy with a backup template and an export template.  With this arrangement, BE will export the tape that is used that night to the mailslot.  You then just retrieve the tape from the mailslot the next day to bring it home.  Remember to enable your mailslot first.

To create export policy, see the document below

ex5o5er
Level 4

Thanks for the reply - your suggestions are very useful.  Just a couple of questions more:

Since I am not using AOFO at all - could I get away with just one job?

I noticed that when creating the backup template in my policy it also has a schedule section - like the ones in each of my jobs.  Could I just cancel the schedule in the jobs and use only the schedule in the backup template?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I don't know how you avoid using AOFO for your files.  Without AOFO, any opened file will be skipped.

AOFO is automatically used when backing up the system state so combining a system state backup with a database backup is not a good idea.

After you have created the template, you need to generate jobs with it by combining it with a selection list.  A template is just a job without a selection list.  When you are testing your policy, you should put your existing job on hold and then eventually delete it.