cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

one folder or two folder for Synthetic Backup?

joeyoung
Level 3

We are running daily incremental backup and weekly synthetic backup on BE2010. We can have the incremental and synthetic backup to use the same backup to disk folder or we can have them using different backup to disk folder.

for example:

they could all use the folder "Synthetic"

or

Weekly Synthetic backup uses the "Synthetic weekly" folder and Daily Incremental backup uses the "Incremental Daily" folder.

I am wondering which way is  faster and stable when doing the weekly Synthetic backup. What does BE recommend?

thanks

Joe

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Your weekly and Incremental backups can go to two different folders. There is no restriction that they can not go to two different Backup to Disk folders.

My recommendation would be to use the same Backup To Disk folder as it will be easier for maintaining.

I just followed this technote " http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO13280 " and here is the important abstract from it:

• Create a full backup template for the baseline backup. This configuration is useful if the baseline backup uses a different destination device or runs on a different schedule than the recurring incremental backups.

•  

• Thanks,

• -Sush...

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Sush---
    Level 6

Your weekly and Incremental backups can go to two different folders. There is no restriction that they can not go to two different Backup to Disk folders.

My recommendation would be to use the same Backup To Disk folder as it will be easier for maintaining.

I just followed this technote " http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO13280 " and here is the important abstract from it:

• Create a full backup template for the baseline backup. This configuration is useful if the baseline backup uses a different destination device or runs on a different schedule than the recurring incremental backups.

•  

• Thanks,

• -Sush...

Sush---
    Level 6

Are there any uodates on this ?? Please let us know if you have got the required information. If this is the Information you are lokking for then please mark the Solution and close the post.

Thanks,

-Sush...

Sush---
    Level 6

Any updates??

Thanks,

-Sush...

joeyoung
    Level 3

thank you, Sush.  If there is no benifit to put them into different folders, I will keep them in the same folder.