cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ongoing backup

maitakeboy
Level 4

As a part of my DR strategy, I want to implement a backup to disc prgram where i do a full backup and then an ongoing differential, which I will then sync to an offsite SAN. How would I configure this in BE 2010?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hello there,

As the Windows backup and NDMP backups are going to the same device since only 1 policy is created then your Windows backups CAN BE overwritten by NDMP and vice versa.

To overcome this you can create 2 policies with 2 jobs each. One selection list will associated with the 1st policy and the second selection list with second policy.

Create two Media sets. Then in each policy select the appropriate Media set. So even when the destination is same the Media set for Windows backup and NDMP backup will be different and then it will NOT overwrite each other's backup sets.

Thanks,

-Sush...

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Jaydeep_S
Level 6

You could setup a back to disk folder in BE. Peform backups o the disk (onsite) and then duplicate to the SAN (Offsite). However, you will require a decent bandwidth for the data transfer between sites.

Sush---
Level 6

Hello there,

Create a policy with two templates. First template will be Full backup which and then second template will be Differential. Schedule the jobs as per your requirement.

Create a selection list and associate it with the Policy created above. This will create 2 jobs (Full and Differential) for the selections that you have made.

Thanks,

-Sush...

maitakeboy
Level 4

Thanks for the responses, Jaydeep and Sush. I'm still uncertain how to do this. I want to basically do a one-time full backup, then do ongoing differentials. I'm not sure how to setup a one-time full backup and then link the unending differential to it.

Sush---
Level 6

Hello,

Go to Job Setup in Backup Exec console. Then under Policy create a new policy and create two templates as mentioned in my previous post. Schedule the Full backup template to run just ones by selecting the date.

Then create the second template which is the Differential backup template. As both the jobs are in one policy then will be linked to each other. Schedule the Differential template to run as per the requirement like Daily, or weekly, etc.....

Thanks,

-Sush...

maitakeboy
Level 4

Sush,

Thanks again. That clears things up a bit. One question, though. For the differential, should I elect to overwrite media?

maitakeboy
Level 4

OK, one more thing. I have two selection lists for this policy, since I have Windows and NDMP to backup. I have the full backup and the differential backups all going to the same folder, with Overwrite as the option. Am I OK with this? Windows isn't going to overwrite NDMP or vice versa?

Sush---
Level 6

Hello there,

As the Windows backup and NDMP backups are going to the same device since only 1 policy is created then your Windows backups CAN BE overwritten by NDMP and vice versa.

To overcome this you can create 2 policies with 2 jobs each. One selection list will associated with the 1st policy and the second selection list with second policy.

Create two Media sets. Then in each policy select the appropriate Media set. So even when the destination is same the Media set for Windows backup and NDMP backup will be different and then it will NOT overwrite each other's backup sets.

Thanks,

-Sush...

maitakeboy
Level 4

How do I edit which selection lists a policy uses? I can't seem to find that. Or do I have to start over and create a whole new policy?

maitakeboy
Level 4

OK, now I'm really getting all confused, or showing my lack of knowledge of backup configuration.

So I've created two Backup2Disk folders. But I hear you saying I don't need to do that, only 2 Media sets? Do those Media sets point to the same Backup2Disk folder? What exactly is the difference between a Media set and a Backup device?

Also, should I use differential or incremental? Will I then have the one-time Full backup and then the ongoing differntial or incremental? I was imagining one set of files, but I'm thinking that's not right. I guess for DR and ease of management I should use differential, because that gives me a single extra file that would grow every day, whereas I would have 365 small incrementals after a year? Should I use archive bit or modified time?

Sorry for all the details, but as I think about it, all my previous knowledge seems to have fled me....