Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

overwritable media preoblem

ramy_shaker
Level 4

Dears ,

n some cases the job stop running and be on queued due to this alert

"Please insert overwritable media into the robotic library using the import command.

Overwritable media includes scratch, blank, and recyclable media. Please note that depending on the current Media Overwrite Protection setting, imported and allocated media may be overwritable as well. Consult the online help for more information on overwritable media."

although an existing  two tapes  with media set "infinite - Done't allow overwrite"   and appedable unit "infinite - allow append"

kindly help me to continue writing on these tapes without overwrite the tape while it has  free space and allow append.

Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

As per your comment 2 tapes are in don't allow overwrite media set.

You will have to move thpose tapes to scratch media set so that the

tapes can be used for next overwrite operation.

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

IF you run a backup job which appends to a media and incase if the media get full , the backup would need a overwritable Tape to complete as it cannot append to any tape which have space to which data can be written. So you need to make sure the media set should allow overwrite after specific period for the append job to complete or you should have new tape in the scratch media set to which the job can continue with overwrite .

So the bottom line is the backup job cannot append to another appendable tape in case if the Media gets full

ramy_shaker
Level 4

Dears ,

Idon't want to overwrite the tapes but i want to append  to as it is not full and  it allow append  put the symantec doesn't sense or i don't know why it  doesn't  append to it.

in some case i  restart the symantec services to fix it  but sometimes it fails

thanks alots

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

If in cases your jobs is spanning over multiple tapes, BE will always request for an overwritable 

tape, it won't append.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

@ramy - You do not have a choice.  When BE needs a 2nd or subsequent tape, it must have an overwriteable tape.  BE will not append to a 2nd tape.  It will only append to the first tape.

ramy_shaker
Level 4

but it is solved by restart backup services