cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

physical volume library robot not found

dmikester1
Level 4

I am running BE 11d.  I was getting the following error when trying to import a tape: physical volume library robot not found.  So I found this article and followed the instructions; https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/physical-volume-library-robot-not-found.  But now the tapes aren't showing up at all under the device tab.  I see the two stand-alone drives that were there before, but I dont' see the third thing that was there before.  I think it was called "disks" or "drives", but it's where I went to view the individual tapes.  Any idea how to get these back?

Thanks

Mike

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Check that your library is listed in the Windows Device Manager as an Unknown Medium Changer with a Microsoft driver.  If it is not listed, then there is a hardware problem and you probably need to get your vendor to help you get it recognised by Windows.  If the library is not recognissed by Windows, BE will not be able to use it.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Check that your library is listed in the Windows Device Manager as an Unknown Medium Changer with a Microsoft driver.  If it is not listed, then there is a hardware problem and you probably need to get your vendor to help you get it recognised by Windows.  If the library is not recognissed by Windows, BE will not be able to use it.

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

First make sure the operating system see all the devices properly as suggested by pkh. If all is good then perform the followign steps
In backup exec device tab right click on the drive and properties - configuration - and remove the check box from enable this device for backup exec.

Do the same for the library.

Then right click on the drive first and delete it out of backup exec. Delete the library.

Cycle the backup exec services
See if the above steps helps.

dmikester1
Level 4

In Device Manager, under Tape Drives, I see two identical items titled "IBM ULTRIUM III TAPE DRIVE".  I believe that is right because in BE, I see 2 drives under stand alone drives.  RahulG, those are the steps I followed initially to get to where I am at now.  Now I see two drives in BE but no library.  So how do I get my library back?

Thanks

Mike

dmikester1
Level 4

pkh, where in Device Manager should the library be listed?  Would it be under System Devices?

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

There should be a medium changer which would be listed in the device manager. Once the OS detect the medium changer you should see the library in the devices tab of backup exec console. But if you have just 1 drive in the library it should show only 1 in device manager. Check the connections and try upgrading the drivers and firmware for the SCSI card .

dmikester1
Level 4

OK, I think I'm getting somewhere.  I scanned for hardware changes in device manager and now it shows a category called Medium Changers and under it is an Unknown Medium Changer.  I restarted BE and it still isn't showing up in BE.  How do I get the library to show up in BE?

Thanks

Mike

dmikester1
Level 4

Good news!  I was able to figure it out.  I restarted all the services in BE and now it shows up.  Thank you guys very much for the help!

Mike