cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

problem with backup exec 12 and HP DAT 160 USB

Oscar_Maffi_-_D
Level 3
Partner

One my customer have Backup Exec 12.0 rev.1364 sp5  with HP DAT 160 USB  and make backup without problem until yesterday when internal administrator has disconnected and reconnected DAT after server crash ...

After this DAT became unusable: if I run inventory job, for example, I receive a comunication error ...

I have just tried to update DAT drivers and run configuration device wizard but nothing changes ... I have tested DAT with another software and not has problem ...

Backup Exec function  regularly  if job is redirected to another device ...

someone can help me ?

Oscar Maffi

Digi Unit srl

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Oscar_Maffi_-_D
Level 3
Partner

I confirm that I have completely executed action suggested by CraigV and I have tested device using HP LT&T utility without problems ...

Now backup and restore functions and then, even if I have one problem with inventory job, the major problem is solved ...

Thanks

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

If the server crashed, I'd start with running a DB repair using BEutility. Once done, try a job again.

If that doesn't work, completely uninstall the drive from BE and Windows, and turn it off. Disconnect from the server, and restart the server. Allow it to boot into Windows and confirm it doesn't show up in Device Manager or BE.

Once done, shut down the server and reconnect the DAT drive. Start up and then start up the server.

Run the Device Configuration Wizard and install the Symantec drivers for the drive, and then try the backup/inventory again.

Thanks!

Oscar_Maffi_-_D
Level 3
Partner

Hi,

I have repaired DB using BEutility but nothing is changed: when BE Services starts USB DAT starts and inventories correctly mounted tape but if I run any jobs ( inventory - backup ... ) device not starts ...

Now I try with  suggested drivers reinstallation ...

Thanks

Oscar_Maffi_-_D
Level 3
Partner

I have also reinstalled drivers using suggested procedures but nothin is changed ...

Someone can help me ?

Thanks

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Go to the BE installation directory and use tapeinst.exe to delete all entries relating to the tape drive.  Then use tapinst.exe to install the drivers again.

Oscar_Maffi_-_D
Level 3
Partner

After reinstallation using suggested procedures, scheduled backup and restore jobs is returned to function but persists problem if I run inventory Job: inventory don't starts and stays in "wait" status ... if I restart backup services inventory job report a "suspended comunication" problem ... but during service restarting tape in device is inventoried correctly.

Now the problem is not business critical ( backup jobs are restarted ) but is very strange ... someone can help me ?

Thanks

Oscar Maffi

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...have you looked at completely uninstalling the device from BE and Windows, shutting the drive down and removing it from the server, rebooting the server and verifying the device isn't showing up; you'd then shut down the server, reconnect the drive and start it up, restart the server and run the Device Configuration Wizard from within BE itself to reinstall the Symantec drivers?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Test the drive with the HP LT&T utility.  Make sure that you stopped all the BE services first and select the write test.

Oscar_Maffi_-_D
Level 3
Partner

I confirm that I have completely executed action suggested by CraigV and I have tested device using HP LT&T utility without problems ...

Now backup and restore functions and then, even if I have one problem with inventory job, the major problem is solved ...

Thanks