cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

problem with job selection and directories not being found

Graham_Anders1
Level 3
Hi

I have a customer who has Backup Exec 9.1 installed on a Windows 2000 server. The backup has been failing over the last few days with

Final error code: a000fe09 HEX
Final error description: The directory is invalid

Directory not found. Can not backup directory \Data\\ISE\J Robertsonk and its subdirectories.

There's two strange things here - first the path should read \Data\CRUISE not \Data\\ISE. Backup Exec has amended the CRU to be \. The second strange thing here is the final directory - J Robertsonk has never existed.

This has happened to this company twice before. In both cases, recreating the backup job from scratch resolves the problem for a wee while, but it will come back.

I've looked at documents 266179 and 207001 but I don't believe they are relevant here. The directories that the job fails on don't exist in the job selection list at all. It's diificult to tell where exactly Backup Exec gets these directory names as they don't exist.

I believe that over time the job selection list is getting corrupted - this is why recreating the job fixes the problem, as the job selection list is created from scratch. As amendments are made, the selection list gets corrupted.

My question is - how can I prevent the selection list from getting corrupted?

Thanks
Graham
3 REPLIES 3

Rohit_Sonawale
Level 6
Certified
"Directory not found. Can not backup directory"

This error can happen if the main directory or the subdirectories no longer exists but its still reflected in the JOB SELECTION under text format. Even though the file or folder is not present in the Graphic view it will be present in TEXT view.

Backup exec does not update it's selection list automatically.

Please refer to the technote below:

Job fails with the error: "Directory not found. Cannot backup directory \Directory name and its sub-directories".

http://support.veritas.com/docs/245452

With the help of this technote, delete the entries which are causing this error.

Graham_Anders1
Level 3
Hi

The instructions in the doucment you quote are much the same as in document http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/266179.htm

I'd already looked through 266179 but was unable to solve the problem using this.

The question here is not really how do I remove directories from a backup list, it's how does the job selection list become corrupted. The backup job is not changed from day to day - one day it works the next it doesn't. The path to the directory quoted in my original post doesn't exist and has never existed, so why did Backup Exec think it had to backup that directory? My guess is because the list is somehow corrupted, and that's what I want to try and prevent.

Thanks
Graham

Rohit_Sonawale
Level 6
Certified
We would suggest you to create a new backup job or you may also create a new selection list itself.

Refer to the following techonte to create a new selection list.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/255041

Hope this helps.

Please let us know if the issue still persists.