cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

problems connecting to Hyper-V hosts after upgrade to 2014

MrCrispy
Level 2

Hello,

A few weeks ago, I upgraded to Backup Exec 2014. I backup a variety of data from various servers, including 5 Hyper-V hosts. After upgrading, the backup of the VMs on the Hyper-V hosts (one Hyper-V host is on Server 2012 and backup of VMs is working) has been failing. FIrst, it said that the version of the agent was not the same as the media server, which is running BE. I had pushed the upgrade of the agents to all the machines from the BE server. I never did figure out if that was really the cause. It seemed like the media server was having a hard time connectin to the remote hosts.

Next, I removed one of the remote hosts from BE and set it up again. After adding the server, the resource discovery phase seems to take a really long time, and currently, is still churning for one host. I had made sure that I established the connection and established trust. However, it just seems like there is some kind of communication issue going on between BE and those remote servers.

BE doesn't seem to have a problem connecting to some other remote severs, such as file shares and DC, just the Hyper-V hosts.

As I said, one Hyper-V host (Server 2012) continues to work, but those on 2008 R2 are having problems. Does anyone have any experience similar to this with 2014. Things were walking almost flawlessly before the upgrade from 2012. Whoops!

5 REPLIES 5

lmosla
Level 6

Hi, Try uninstalling the remote agent from the virtual machines, reboot them and then repush the remote agent.

MrCrispy
Level 2

The remote agent is not installed on the virtual machines. They are mostly Linux. The remote agent is installed and up to date on all the hosts.

MrCrispy
Level 2

I have one license for Hyper-V Agent. That is what I had for BE 2012. I have 5 Hyper-V hosts. Do I need a Hyper-V Agent license for each Hyper-V host ?

lmosla
Level 6

The requirement is to have a license per host.  I don't know how it worked for more than one host in BE 2012 because the licensing is the same in BE 2014.

see: Symantec Backup Exec™ 2012 Licensing Guide  and  Symantec Backup Exec 2014TM Licensing Guide

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You should upgrade your single Hyper-V agent licence to BE 2014 and install it in your BE 2014 media server.  This way, you only need to get 4 more Hyper-V licences.

Do you have sufficient Agent for Applications and Databases licences for BE 2014?  You would need 1 Agent for Applications and Databases licence for each application/database in each VM.  If you need a lot of Agent for Applications and Databases licences, then you might want to look getting the V-Ray edition which allows you to have an unlimited number of Applications and Databases licences.  See the Licencing guide above for more details on the V-Ray edition and this blog

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/whats-included-backup-exec-v-ray-edition