cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

question about inventory...

norad_06
Level 3
Hi,

I'm having a problem with inventory. I've different backup jobs using different media sets. On certain days of the week, we are switching the tapes. But Backup Exec does not recognize the inserted media set (the inserted media already belongs to a media set) unless an inventory job is run. If I don't run this job, back exec cannot find the media set it is supposed to use and uses other available medias. How can I prevent this happening (other than changing the setting not to use recyclable media sets)? Do I need to run an inventory job every time I insert tapes?

Thank you
4 REPLIES 4

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Yes - Every time you add or remove a tape, you need to inventory at least that one slot.

norad_06
Level 3
I see.

Thank you

steve_2
Level 3
I work with Veritas Back Exec, on a Windows XP platform. I know I have to run an inventory everytime I import a backup tape, but how do I literally do it. I know I have to Right Click Slots, choose Inventory and click Run Now. However, there are about 3 icons named Slots. Do I choose the Slots icon directly underneath, in my case, Dell 5 (underneath that Slotos I have Dell 6) or do I run an inventory on the Slots icon that appears on the upper right side of my screen, or do I run an inventory on the the individual Slot, in my case Slots 1, 2 and 3). Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

steve_2
Level 3
I work with Veritas Back Exec, on a Windows XP platform. I know I have to run an inventory everytime I import a backup tape, but how do I literally do it. I know I have to Right Click Slots, choose Inventory and click Run Now. However, there are about 3 icons named Slots. Do I choose the Slots icon directly underneath, in my case, Dell 5 (underneath that Slotos I have Dell 6) or do I run an inventory on the Slots icon that appears on the upper right side of my screen, or do I run an inventory on the the individual Slot, in my case Slots 1, 2 and 3). Any help would be appreciated, thanks.