cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Access is Denied" when backing up Exchange Mailboxes

Abbos_Azad
Level 3
Hi,

We recently had a problem where our SBS2003 server stopped receiving email becuase the Exchange DB had reached 16GB. The services stopped. After using a reg hack and getting it back up and running I spent a day or so running offline defrags and bringing the size of the DB down. It is now under 10GB and Exchange is very stable. Since this has happened BE has not been able to backup the Exchange Mailboxes. It looks like it is only certain items in each mailbox but I am unsure but does affect all mailboxes. The error I have got is 0xe0008488. It has reffered me to article V-79-57344-33928. I have also read articles 261744, 266178 & 266075 and followed the instructions.

Can anyone help as I am not too sure what my next step should be?

Thanks in advance,
Abbos
38 REPLIES 38

Martin_Banniste
Level 2
Partner
I started having this problem after upgrading from build 5584 to 5520. I have removed the mailbox backup until a fix has been issued.

Eric_Kuhn
Level 3
It's highly unlikely that people are accessing their mail and/or files at 2300 (our backup time). Has anyone been able to get an answer from Veritas on this?

Abbos_Azad
Level 3
No reply at all.

By looking at the responses so far I would conclude that:

1. Either they are aware of the problem but do not have a fix for it yet, but rather than being customer friendly and explaining this, they just keep quiet and don not respond which in the long run could cost them a heavy loss of customers.

2. They are so busy with their telephone support and the (paying) customers that their time and resources are limited when responding to forum support requests. It would make sense to either advertise the lengthy or non-existent response times or simply close down the forums.

Thank you Veritas.

Brian_Kinzel
Level 4
All I know is what solved my problem was to move the backups back so the individual mailbox backups weren't still running by time most of the people in the office came in for the day.

However, if people leave their workstations up and possibly leaving their mail client open... could that maybe happening in some of your instances?

John_Le_Galloud
Not applicable
I'm having a similar problem. I've got one Exchange 2003 mailbox that always reports Access denied, in use.

I've made sure that the end user has not been logged on to their mailbox, it made no difference. It was working OK for a while and now it just seems to fail the backup job with this error every time.

I ran the test on the Resource Credentials and it comes back successful. I also tried using a different Logon for the Resource and used the administrator instead of the System Logon Account, this made no difference.

The mailbox in question is important and I need to get it backed up.

My error includes the mailbox name and "Top of Information Store. Sent Items FW: Email. - in use skipped"

Has there been any offering from Veritas?

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

To better analyze the issue please run the sgmon utility with the help of the technote below to check the error message.
http://support.veritas.com/docs/190979

Also please put the services remote agent and job engine in debug mode and then check the error.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/254212

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Eric_Kuhn
Level 3
Okay, I've run sgmon against a backup. I've also put the two services in debug mode. Incidentally, I removed the Exchange mailboxes from the backup and started only backing up the Information Store so I caould bypass the "failed backup" problems. This is not an ideal solution, so if you have any other work arounds, I'd be very appreciative.

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

We apologize for the delayed response. Please update us on the status of this issue. If you have created the debug logs, please paste the relevant part of the logs.

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Martin_Banniste
Level 2
Partner
Found a Trend Micro patch ID 23065 and this seemed to fix the problem.

Eric_Kuhn
Level 3
Amruta,

I had removed the Exchange mailboxes in the last debug log. I've re-added them and restarted the logs. I will post on Thursday what I have as that would possibly have several failures. In the meantime, I will review the hotfixes for possible solutions as well.

Eric_Kuhn
Level 3
From SGMON:
beremote: 08/02/05 01:35:12 MailBoxDS::OpenObj: Access denied. Error = 0x80040102
beremote: 08/02/05 01:35:12 LP_ENV::MsgError: error 0xe0008488 processing object Zhao, Chuntian

?Top of Information Store?Inbox?Delivery Status Notification (Failure)

From beremote.log:
08/02/05 01:34:25 MAPISession::ImpersonateUser(): Logging on to server DIEXCH as user czhao
MessageStoreDN=/O=dorismx/OU=first administrative group/CN=Configuration/CN=Servers/CN=DIEXCH/CN=Microsoft Private MDB
MailBoxDN=/O=dorismx/OU=first administrative group/CN=recipients/CN=czhao
08/02/05 01:35:12 MailBoxDS::OpenObj: Access denied. Error = 0x80040102

This in only one of 40 errors related to indiviual mailboxes. Not all individual mailboxes produced an error (some were opened, read, backed up, and closed without incident).

There were no errors in the BEEngine.log file. Incidentally all errors are 0x80040102.

Paul_Schwartzko
Not applicable
Having the same issue.

I've got an account with Full Exchange rights, unique name, working mailbox, and it seems to backup most Exchange Mailbox accounts without a problem, but there are about 6 (out of 50) that get the following errors:

Backup- \\mail-server\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes V-79-57344-33928 - Access is denied.
Access denied to file " username" Top of Information StoreSent ItemsFW: Delivery Status Notification (Failure).
V-79-57344-33928 - Access is denied.

When I go to the restore tab, it does seems like it's backed up parts of their account, but when I go to restore some mail it gives the "Access is Denied" error. It sounds like quite a few people are have the exact same problem, and I can't find any tech notes that tell me to do what I haven't already done.

Kevin_Winfield
Not applicable
Any word from Veritas on this issue? I have had this problem for several months and not been able to rectify it.

The server that I'm having the problem with has Symantic Antivirus with Groupware Protection running, it picks up the files that Backup Exec skips as having unscannable attachments. When the users mailbox is checked the emails are not present, though Backup Exec seems to think they are.

IT_Systema_SpA
Level 3
Hi to all,
I posted the same problem 2 weeks ago. I called the technical support (On July I purchased a VIP support!)
I received some answers by Veritas about further troubleshooting actions but we don’t make any progress, besides there a lot of posts regarding this issue.

Here there are all attempts that I tried. I think the problem has not been fixed, personally I prefer an announcement by Veritas that says “At the moment there isn’t a solution for this issue”. If someone has found the solution please indicate me which post I have to see.
Good luck…

First post: Dear support center,
We have some problems about our Veritas Backup Exec ver.10.
Recently we have migrated Backup Exec from 9.1 to 10 version (Rev 5520), all settings (jobs, logs, etc…) have been maintained correctly.
Now, after any backup job, there are a lot of new errors about "access denied" with error number V79-57344-33928.
All backup errors are about some (but not all) Microsoft Exchange items specially calendar items. Our infrastructure is composed by one Backup Exec Server and several agents (Remote Agent, SQL and Exchange).
I've tried to fix the problem with TechNote ID: 266075 and TechNote ID: 261744 but unsuccessfully.
In the past using the same Veritas domain account and 9.1 version all worked correctly.
Kindly could you indicate me any suggestions to fix the problem.
I’ve tried to create an other Veritas account and give to it the correct permission but the problem is not fixed.

Reply: Hi,
Have you selected AOFO for backup?
Ensure that BESA has local admin as well as domain admin rights.
Make sure that BESA also has Exchange Administrator rights in Exchange system manager.
Mailbox for BESA should be activated and should not be hidden in Global Address List.

Second post: My infrastracture is composed by: 1 Server BE on W2K3 (no SP1) with library option (Dell PV SDLT), BE ver.10.0 5520, several CAL agents, 1 SQL agent and 1 Exchange agent on W2K3 and Exchange 2003 server.
AOFO is disabled.
I've created a new VeritasBE account, the accout is member of Domain Admins group and Exchange server Local Administrators group.
VeritasBE has full Exchange Administrator rights in Exchange System Manager through Administrative Delegation Wizard (all mailboxes have VeritasBE security permissions in Advanced Exchange tab)
VeritasBE has a own mailbox (not hidden in GAL)
VeritasBE is the account used during Exchange mailboxes backup operation.
I think that no messagges or calendar items are corrupted in Exchange DB, all users can open their calendar appointment with no problem.
All agents work correctly, the error is only about some calendar items (I’ve noted the items affected are always the same)
This is the error in the history tab
Error category: Security Errors
Error: e0008488 - Access is denied.
For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-33928
File was skipped: \\\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes\ Information ????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????Calendario?Store
This is the error in job tab:
Access denied to file
The item \\\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes\ of Information ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????Inc.?Calendario?Store ass. in use - skipped.
V-79-57344-33928 - Access is denied.

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

As suggested in the earlier reply have you verified the following points?

-- Ensure that BESA has local admin as well as domain admin rights.
-- Make sure that BESA also has Exchange Administrator rights in Exchange system manager.
-- Mailbox for BESA should be activated and should not be hidden in Global Address List.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Eric_Kuhn
Level 3
As with a previous post, our BESA is the Domain Administrator account. That account is a member of Administrators, Domain Administrator, Exchange Domain Servers, Enterprise Administrators, Schema Administrators, SMSMSE Administrators. The Domain Administrator mailbox is NOT Hidden and is activated

Kevin_Peterson
Level 3
Is there an answer to this problem?

I have almost the exact same problem but mine are all errors for the Contact folders and only Contact folders for all users.

Access denied to file Kevin Top of Information StoreContactsSuzette.
The item \\EMAIL2\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes\Kevin Top of Information StoreContactsŒ〰〰〰〰挶㥣〰搸昰捥㑤ㄱ〹ぢ〰〹㜲戲慥〱㜰〰ㄴ㤶㜰愸㄰㝥㉤ㄱ〹㜲〰〹㜲㘲慥㡡〰〰〰㤲㔶ㅤ〰〰㠸㝤昸㥡㜸㡤散㈴㕢挷戵愴㈹㘷て挹〰〰〰㘲㑡攳〰〰Suzette in use - skipped.

Kevin_Peterson
Level 3
Hey, this is interesting. I backed up my contacts and had the error on every single one of them. Then I deleted them (made a CSV first). The strange thing is, I could restore them from the tape so they were actually backed-up. Have any of you tried to restore items that reported the error? This really makes me think this is bug in the backup software, since the files were actually backed-up.

Kevin_Peterson
Level 3
Got it!

Had to run "isinteg" on the Exchage database. Ran it till I had zero errors and the backup runs fine now.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/301460