cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Device Offline" notifications

Chris_Zeigler
Level 2
We use Backup Exec 12.5 on a server with several USB drives connected to a remote computer that are shared.  If for some reason, Backup Exec loses connection to the USB drives, it will set the device to "Device Offline" and remain that way, even if the USB drive is reconnected later.  I'd love it if Backup Exec would automatically redetect that the device is connected, but what I'd really like is for Backup Exec to notify me if a device is set to being status Offline.  Any way to have it notify me?
7 REPLIES 7

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
You need to either restart the services or manully set the backup to disk folder online.... Hope you configure the USB drive as removable b2d

Chris_Zeigler
Level 2
It is configured that way.  I'm cool with restarting the services and setting the device online, but if it doesn't tell me that it's offline, I won't know to do that.  How do I get it to notify me (via email or whatever) that the device has been set to offline.

Zuaib
Level 2
Employee Accredited
You can configure alerts for the devices . PLease refer the article http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/309830.htm

You can configure the Device error and Device warning Alerts and it would inform you if there are any kind of Device related errors

The Alerts can be configured to send email to recipients that are configured. PLease refer http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/309822.htm for more info.

Hope this is of help to You

Regards
Zuaib

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
You can probably create a batch file to restart he servies when the event for the backup to disk offline is generated in the event log ...But not sure how to create it as not much nto scripting..

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified
Hi Chris

In BE there is no option of "Device Offline" alert. You may post a comment in IDEA 's if we get enough thumb's up

then you will see the option in the next version of BE

pkh
   VIP    Certified
There is no guarantee that the idea would be implemented even if there are lots of votes.  It depends on Symantec.

Rohan_Islam
Level 3
Tools -> Recipients -> New -> Select Person (or any other option as per your requirement) -> Click OK -> Put your Name in Name filed -> Check the Enable option -> Put your mail address in the address field -> Click OK -> Click yes on the dialog box -> Set the SMTP configuration; check the Enable option; Put the SMTP mail server name, Sender name, Sender email address (servername@yourdomain) -> Click OK -> Close.

Go to Tools -> Assign Recipients to Alert Categories -> Select the Alert categories (Device Error) and Check the box on Recipients - > Click OK
Now Backup Exec will mail the selected alerts to you in your mail. If you face any difficulty or if you have any query please let me know.

Regards,
Rohan