cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Discover data to back up" feature

Daniel_
Level 3

Hi.

I got a question regarding the 'discover data to back up' feature that reports servers currently not backed up.

I'm getting false positives from windows XP clients, how do i blacklist certain hostnames while still keeping the feature turned on ?

The same applies for servers, i've removed the agent, i've removed it from BE but it still adds itself to BE backup & restore tab.

Its roughly 2 months until i can completely turn those 2 servers off and its bit annoying having it reappear and being notified :(

Thanks!

Regards/Daniel.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

azs
Level 3

Hello,

we have the same problem, but until now we have only workarounds and no solutions. All of these are not tested.

1. You could add those 2 Servers and XP Clients to your BE Servers List. For the Workstations you could create a group and move them to this group or use a filter on your view.
Downside: You have to install the BE Agent for Windows on all Clients.

From the BE Admin Guide (page 537/538):

"The data discovery operation only discovers the servers that meet the following
criteria:
■ Belongs to the same domain as the Backup Exec server
■ Has the Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) service enabled and
running
■ Allows WMIaccess for the same user that the Backup Exec Management Service
runs under
Members of the server's "Administrators" group have this level of access.
■ Has firewalls that are configured to allow WMI network traffic"

2. Disable WMI on your Clients

3. If you need WMI. Block WMI ports/traffic on your Firewall Hardware Appliance, but only for the scenario "BE Server -> DHCP Range of Clients"

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Any way you can put in an exclusion for the 2 servers in question?

Daniel_
Level 3

Thats exactly what im trying to figure out if its possible and if so, how ? :)

Need to exclude some xp clients aswell or find out why they're getting reported as servers.

Thanks.

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I do not see any option to exclude some machines in network being checked by BE. Enable the feature or Disable. Nothing to customize.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...seems like if you have MAPI installed it will automatically detect the servers even without a RAWS agent installed...do you have MAPI installed on these 2 servers?

Otherwise I will also hit the support flag...if nobody from Symantec gets back to you here, you might have to log a call with them to get it sorted out. Then post back here with that solution and close this off!

Thanks!

Daniel_
Level 3

I'll check the servers and get back :)

How about the xp clients being reported as servers ?

No way to exclude on hostname, mac address(i could even do a dhcp reserve for IP), anything ?

I'm working offsite so me researching those clients are limited at best :(

azs
Level 3

Hello,

we have the same problem, but until now we have only workarounds and no solutions. All of these are not tested.

1. You could add those 2 Servers and XP Clients to your BE Servers List. For the Workstations you could create a group and move them to this group or use a filter on your view.
Downside: You have to install the BE Agent for Windows on all Clients.

From the BE Admin Guide (page 537/538):

"The data discovery operation only discovers the servers that meet the following
criteria:
■ Belongs to the same domain as the Backup Exec server
■ Has the Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) service enabled and
running
■ Allows WMIaccess for the same user that the Backup Exec Management Service
runs under
Members of the server's "Administrators" group have this level of access.
■ Has firewalls that are configured to allow WMI network traffic"

2. Disable WMI on your Clients

3. If you need WMI. Block WMI ports/traffic on your Firewall Hardware Appliance, but only for the scenario "BE Server -> DHCP Range of Clients"

Daniel_
Level 3

Hi.

The customer finally agreed with me and we've decided to just disable that feature completely.

@azs. I appreicate the time for writing workarounds but that just isnt an option for us.

For example, we use WMI to filter GPO's.

Personally i think BE should have better checks, pretty odd having XP clients being reported as servers, even if they would have server like services. It should still be treated like a client imo.