Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Maximum Size For Backup-To-Disk Files" does not work with Exchange EDB file

dwdacuerent
Level 2

Windows Small Business Server 2011 Standard

Backup Exec 2010 R2

I have one Backup To Disk folder on the Devices tab.  That folder has the option "Maximum Size For Backup-To-Disk Files" set to 1GB.

I only have 1 simple backup job that only backs up the "Microsoft Information Store" (Exchange database).

The backup appears to run successfully, saving the backup data to a remote server's shared folder, but when I look inside that folder, I can see the entire 26GB EDB file sitting there.  I really want that EDB file to be split into individual 1GB files.  Is this a bug or something I can fix?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Is this a bug or something I can fix?

If you have selected a GRT enabled backup, there is nothing you can do about this

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Is this a bug or something I can fix?

If you have selected a GRT enabled backup, there is nothing you can do about this

dwdacuerent
Level 2

Yes, I am using GRT.  So I am understanding that GRT backups cannot be split into smaller files?

I wonder if I can do the GRT backup to the 26GB file, and then create a second backup job to a different location that backs up the 26GB file into smaller 1GB files.  I'll try that.

Thanks for your answer.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

I wonder if I can do the GRT backup to the 26GB file, and then create a second backup job to a different location that backs up the 26GB file into smaller 1GB files.  I'll try that.

You can ty, but I'm willing to bet that you'll still wind up with the IMG folder structure you see in the first backup.  BackupExec does it this way so that it can extract individual items/mailboxes.  That's why for tape backups containing GRT data, you have to stage the entire store to disk before the selected items can be restored