cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Unable to acquire device or media" error on every job

Ross_McKerchar
Level 3
Hello,

I am unable to run any jobs. Everytime I attempt to start a job it fails straight away with the error "Unable to acquire device or media."

I definitely have many devices available, and all seem to be working ok (i.e. not offline, paused, etc. Backup to disk folders are writeable via the OS and list all the existing media).

I have tried recreating the backup to disk folders and creating a new temporary backup to disk folder then redirecting the jobs to it, but to no avail. I have also create a new test job but the same problem occurs.

All the services appear to be running ok on the server. Occasionally, however, (and by no means regularly) the service status icon in the bottom right of the status bar changes to the stop sign, indicating the services are running properly. When I load the Services Manager it to tells me that not all services are started. However, when I "start all services" I get the status reply "service is already started" from all the services. The icon then changes back to the green play icon. This doesn't happen every time the backup fails.

I have also tried restarting the server.

any help would be appreciated.

-ross
1 REPLY 1

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

Does the error only occur while backing up to back to disk folder or also while backing up to a tape drive? While configuring the job, ensure that you are selecting the specific device and media set in the devices tab. Also refer to the technote below:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/237573