cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"account does not have the privileges that are required to log on to the Oracle database"

Interrociter
Level 0
I upgraded from BE 10d to 11d (7170) and am now suffering from the problem evidenced by the subject line.  Two days of intensive troubleshooting, including a 2-hour webex session with Symantec tech support, hasn't resolved it.  I have two Oracle servers that aren't getting backed up.

The message "This user account does not have the privileges that are required to log on to the Oracle database" occurs when I try to configure the Oracle tab in the BE remote agent.  Regardless of what I enter in the username and password fields, to allow the remote agent to "talk" to the Oracle instance, I always get this message.  Valid Oracle account, jibberish--it doesn't matter.  The Oracle agent can't authenticate against the instance.  I should be able to use the same Oracle account that worked fine under Backup Exec 10d, but I can't.

Things I'm aware of:

1.  The account you're logged in under to configure the remote agent isn't suppost to be in the local Oracle DBA group.  [check]

2.  The Oracle account -- the one that the agent can't authenticate -- needs to be configured properly within Oracle, per http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/230036.htm.  [check]

3.  The value of SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES in SQLNET.ORA may matter.  I've tried both (NONE) and (NTS).  Didn't make a difference.  But do I need to restart Oracle or reboot the server after I change the value, because I haven't yet done that.

4.  This problem appears to go back at least a year and a half and maybe longer in these forums, and nowhere have I seen an actual resolution.

If anybody has a solution, I'd be quite grateful if you'd share it.  Also, I'd like to hear from anyone who's using BE 12 to backup Oracle servers.  I wasn't planning to upgrade to ver. 12 for a few months, but if it, like, actually works, then maybe I'll upgrade sooner.

Dan

4 REPLIES 4

Mike45
Level 2
I have exactly the same problem with Backup Exec 11d and Oracle v9.1. I only purchased the agent today and it doesn't work. If Symantec are reading this, can we please have a solution posted urgently. Thanks.

Mike45
Level 2
I have inadvertently found the solution to this problem for future reference.

You need to configure the remote agent oracle tab to use a domain account, not an oracle account, and make it a member of the local group ora_dba.

I then found that Backup Exec could not connect to the resource, so I pushed the agent again. This action did not overwrite the remote agent configuration, and it connected straight away. Problem solved.

PB_2
Level 2

Sorry to haul up an old thread, but I'm just wondering if you ever found a solution to this.  We just upgraded from BE 11d to 12 and I have run into the same error message while trying to configure the BE12 Remote Agent on our Oracle/Red Hat server.

I've set up the first section ("system credentials") and it seems to work.  When I configure the second section (Oracle instance information), it pops up the "no privileges" messages.  I've tried everything from the system root account, to the Oracle administrator Linux account, to the system dba and "BACKUP" Oracle accounts (created as shown here: http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/230036.htm)... all of them say they have insufficient privileges.

Most of the articles I've found seem to apply to BE 8, 9, and 10... but there's no mention of 12.  Seeing as something seems to have broken during the 11 to 12 upgrade, I'm thinking something changed that isn't covered in these articles.

The solution Mike45 posted wasn't exactly comparable as mine is a Linux, not a Windows host, but I tried re-installing the RALUS agent on a lark, and that didn't do anything.

PB_2
Level 2

I figured out my error...  In my case, my backups broke during the 11d to 12 upgrade because I was foolish enough to assume which accounts I was using rather than checking my backup job config, which would have pointed me to the answer much sooner.  Many of the other forum postings I had read were quite misleading as they are pointing to articles dealing with older versions of BE.  I think some of the confusion stems from the fact that (as far as I can tell) the Oracle backup mechanism changed in BE 11d.  The Oracle agent is now using RMAN, which requires "SYSDBA" privileges to run.  (Note that this is *not* the same as "DBA" privileges as indicated in articles like http://support.veritas.com/docs/230036 and http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/234629.htm.)  The DBA role does *not* have the right to launch RMAN, while the SYSDBA role does.  After I re-ran AgentConfig (which clearly asks for a SYSDBA account -- I should read closer!) and set the SYSDBA accounts to the Oracle backup account I created with SYSDBA privileges, the agent recognized everything and ran correctly.

Remember that after configuring the Agent on the Oracle server, you must configure the Oracle server configuration on the media server and the correct Login credentials for the backup job/selection(s), if you haven't already done so.