cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"slow mailboxes backup", will upgrade solve this???

TomMLS
Level 5
Like other people, I have encountered the "slow Exchange mailboxes backup" problem.

Would upgrading to BUE 10.x make this "slow Exchange mailboxes backup" problem go away??

We have moved the Exchange mailboxes to the top of the list, moved the Exchange maintenance window away from backup start time...

The only thing we have not yet tried is the Symantec MAPI/VAPI workaround.

I saw one message about updating tape drive drivers, we use an HP Ultrium 215 LTO tape drive, is this worth checking / doing??

We are on BUE 9.1 rev 4691; Help / About doesn't show if we have any service packs etc. installed; are there any we should install??

Note: This problem only began after I upgraded the server to SAV 10.x a couple months ago.

Thank you,
Tom
13 REPLIES 13

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello Thomas,
- Is your Exchange in the same domain?
- Do you have any other selections in this job? like system state?
- Are you using AOFO?
- Can you explain a bit more about the Upgrade that you said you did a couple of months ago?
-----------------------------------------------------------------
You can also go through folllowing Articles:
Reasons why the data throughput rate can be slower than the theoretical maximum when backing up to tape media
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/231488.htm

What Backup Exec settings can be modified to reduce the amount of time it takes for a backup to run?
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/249090.htm

How to correct slow backup performance, slow virus or pre-job scans, and agent initialization problems on fragmented Windows NT, Windows 2000, and Windows 2003 server partitions
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/237444.htm

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Thanks.

TomMLS
Level 5
FYI I have opened a support incident, and emailed BEGather and job logs to a support tech, incident 290-083-000.

1. Yes, Exchange is in the same domain.
2. Yes, other selections -- Exchange Information Store, C:\, D:\, etc. System State is selected.
Order of resources:
Exchange Information Store
Exchange Mailboxes
C:\
D:\
Other things.
Backup starts at 10:00 pm nightly; Exchange maintenance is scheduled for 0200-0600 am nightly.
3. We are not using AOFO, we don't have it.
4. Upgrade: Installed SAV Corporate Edition 10.0.359 as an upgrade over the SAV Corporate Edition 9.x in late June 2005.
5. Checked through doc #249090 -- all these settings are on.
6. I know that defragmenting the disk drives may help, but I will not be able to do this for several more days, I cannot do it on weeknights and I am not always home or able to remotely access the server on weekends.

Thank you, Tom

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

Please update the drivers and verify.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Thanks.

TomMLS
Level 5
I updated the drivers on 8/30/05, have had two successive nights of "non-slow" backups, and I will wait till next week before I try anything else again.

Thank you, Tom

Ashutosh_Tamhan
Level 6
Hello Thomas!

Please update us on the issue!

Regards,
Ashutosh

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

TomMLS
Level 5
Updating the drivers seems to have helped a little -- since doing this, have had one "slow" backup (8 hours) vs. "normal" backup times (about 5 hours and change). Plan to wait a few more days to see what happens, then determine what to do next.

Thank you,
Tom

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello Thomas,

Thank you for the update.

Awaiting results.

Regards

TomMLS
Level 5
Still monitoring this, seems good so far, will wait till next week before doing anything more. Thank you, Tom

Jake_McNutt
Level 4
Where did you find the updated drivers, Thomas?

TomMLS
Level 5
Veritas' own website.
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/273853.htm
Tom

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Please update us on this issue.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

TomMLS
Level 5
In my September7 reply, I stated that I am still observing.

I'm not going to do anything further till late next week, when I may have a better idea if simply updating the tape drivers solved the problem, or if I have to try other things.

Thank you, Tom

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

Thanks for the update we request you to keep us updated to further troubleshoot the issue.

Regards,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool