cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

re-inventory B2D after re-install/upgrade

CommChris
Level 2

Currently using Backup Exec 2010 R3, using LTO-5 tapes and a 15TB B2D storage area

I have to re-install the OS on the backup server, and therefore will have to re-install Backup Exec.

I will be installing BE 2012.

The drive area that stores my backup to disk items will not be touched.

Will I be able to add the B2D folder into 2012, and re-inventory to gain my previous backups again?

Thank you.

4 REPLIES 4

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

SuperBrain
Employee Accredited

yes you will be able to access you old backup files, but, they will be in read-only mode.

You wont be able to run backups targetted to that folder, since Backup Exec 2012 comes with a new resource centric model design, it requires a volume as B2D

I recommend you go through the following to understand Backup Exec 2012's new interface/changes/differences, etc in order to get familiar before moving on:

Comparing Backup Exec 2012 and 2010 (video)

Backup Exec 2012 vs 12.5/2010 - List of Differences (document)

Introduction to new Backup Exec 2012 UI (video)

Preparing to Install or Upgrade to Backup Exec 2012? (SymConnect Article)

Upgrading to Backup Exec 2012 (video)

Backup Exec 2012 Upgrade Guide (document)

Manage Multiple Jobs at onece in Backup Exec 2012 (video)

and.. 

more links to manuals, videos, trainings, readmes, best practices, hardware/software compatibility l...

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

I'd suggest upgrading to BE 2012 with SP1a first. This way you've already got all your data migrated, and won't need to do this manually.

Follow the TN below. Just treat "the other" server as your local server. The most important thing is to get copies of your Data/Catalogs folders after the upgrade, and BEFORE trashing your server.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH67768

You will reinstall the OS, install BE 2012 with SP1a, and then use the steps from Step IV to move the backed up Data/Catalogs folders to where they should be. Your B2D data will be intact as that information is contained in the BEDB.

Thanks!

CommChris
Level 2

Unfortunatley, I am unable to upgrade due to a database migration error (been trying since launch, have a support case open but no solution)