cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

reUse of agent licenses

Brian_Blackwell
Level 5
Thisis the plan. We have two facilities, one that is curently using Backup Exec to backup there 10 windows boxes. The other facility use to have Backup Express but no more so the licenses are old. The plan is to be a secondary backup site to the facility that has the current licenses and backup those servers to another library. I will be purchasing a renewal/upgrade to 12.5 for my windows box and a Library expansion. I was told that we can use the existing Backup Exec Agents the first facility uses on the second facility. Just use their keys at the new facility. Is this true? So all I would need is the Windows server and a library expansion at the new facility? Or do I have to purchase new agents to use the licenses?
6 REPLIES 6

Brian_Blackwell
Level 5
Nobody has an answer?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
You need one RAWS serial for each remote server that you  backup, sorry

Brian_Blackwell
Level 5
Thanks Ken, we do have a serial for each server. That was my question. Seeing how we have them already I was told "By Symantic" mind you, that I can use the same serials as the first location uses. It, in all reality, is ours, just a different department bought them. Still in our organization. I will buy the Windows Server license and the Library expansion, but I was told I can use their agents serials since they are already installed on the servers.
Message Edited by Brian Blackwell on 01-15-2009 04:55 PM

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

OK, went back and re-read your original post

I guess I picked up on I can use the same serials as the first location uses .  To me that seemed to indicate that you wanted to use the same serial at two different sites

As long as you have a serial for each physical server, you should be good to go.

(as long as the media server will accept the BE Express agents, of course.  I've never tried that combination)

Brian_Blackwell
Level 5

yes, it will be the same serials as the other site. The only serials that would be sharing is the agents, nothing else. I will buy the windows license and the library expansion license. I was then told I can use the same agent license the other sites uses because the agent is already installed.

Does that make more sense?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

I was then told I can use the same agent license the other sites uses because the agent is already installed.

Again, you need a separate RAWS for each physical server you want to backup remotely.  Doesn't matter if they are in different sites. 

The serials will install, since the media servers can't see each other to check for uniqueness on the network, but you would be violating the licensing scheme

Even if the v12 media server would accept the BackupExpress agents the only time that agents of another version are legal are "for the purpose of rolling upgrades", not in production.