cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

recovery source not available after a while

Raiden
Level 3
Hello,

I´m now using BE for years, last month I upgrade my 12.5 installation to BE 2010 (on win2003), all updates are applied. well, I´m went into a problem. I´m running 3 fullbackup jobs at weekend ( B2T, B2D_1, B2D_2).
All fine, but after a while ( next differential backup or some days - have´nt analyse till now), both backup2disk jobs have disappeared under recovery.
All jobs are listed in the job process windows, but I cannot start a recovery job and select the ressources from those B2D-jobs, only the B2T job is listed as full snapshot.

Any ideas?

Thx in advance

5 REPLIES 5

pkh
   VIP    Certified
1) Check the Overwrite Protection Period of your B2D media sets to see when the .bkf files become overwriteable.

2) Use you job log to trace whether they were overwritten.  If they are overwritten to soon for your liking, increase the OPP.

Raiden
Level 3
The .bkf-files are not overwritten, there are still in the B2D-Dir. I just can´t select ressources from a recoveryjob...

The jobs used the same media set. Well, I created 2 new sets (fullbackup, OPP = 3 days / diff.backup, OPP = 0 hours) and give it a try.....

pkh
   VIP    Certified
The .bkf-files are not overwritten, there are still in the B2D-Dir

The files will not be deleted by BE so they will always be in the B2D directory until you manually delete them.  However, their contents may be different, i.e. BE overwrite the date in them.  To check whether they are overwritten, check the job logs to see when they are used.

diff.backup, OPP = 0 hours

This means that there is no overwrite protection for your diff backup.  The next diff job will overwrite the data.

Raiden
Level 3

I do a fullbackup on fr and diff.backups from mo-thu. so what is best B2D-practice for this scenario, to keep all backup-files....OPP = 1 week for full and diff?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If you want to keep 1 week worth of data, then OPP = 6 days.  OPP = 1 week means that you have 8 days worth of data.