cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 11d 7170 kills ralus

Yujie_Liang
Level 3
Hi, all

I experience so much troubles in my BE 11d in the past few months. My media server is Windows 2003 R2 with BE 11d 7170 SP5 installed.

Problem 1
I have a Redhat ES4 64 bit Linux server. Ralus 11d 7170 remote agent and HF63 were installed. When it was set up 2 years ago, I found out ralus process terminated by itself without reason. It became less and less until beginning of 2010. BE 11d still backup all the content on the Redhat server but  the job status show connection  lost error. I found a red cross at the last folder/file. The ralus process disappeared from the Redhat server. It happen once a day or once every two days. I have to check and restart every day. I set up a log but it just show process terminated but without any helpful information. I read other post in this website and it seems a bug for Redhat 64 bit server. I've checked with Redhat side and it seems a problem from BE 11d.

Problem 2
I also have ralus on a Fedora Linux 11 box. When I tried to fix the above problem 1, I uninstalled BE application (w/o touch the BE settings) and re-installed BE 11d. I found out that BE couldn't back up Fedora box any more. It always reported communication error and failed to backup anything on the box. I reinstall ralus and hot-fix in Fedora box but no luck. What confused me was, I can browse to all directories in Fedora in the backup selection step, I can pass the credential test even if it takes 90 seconds, BUT I can never backup anything after the re-installation.

Problem 3
I tried to select MS SQLExpress 2008 DB installed on a Windows 2003 R2 server. When I selected the check-box, it pop-up a message of "an error was encountered while attempting to browse the content of Microsoft SQL server SQLExpress, a network connection to the server could not be established". But I can select MS SQL 2005 Express on other Windows 2003 server. Does BE 11d support SQLExpress 2008? Or other issue cause the error?

Sorry for the long post. I really appreciate if any one could give me light.

Regards

It happen once a day or once every two days. 
6 REPLIES 6

pkh
   VIP    Certified
BE 11d does not support Fedora.  Neither does it support SQL 2008.  See the SCL below

ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/Backup_Exec_for_WindowsNT/286600.pdf

Yujie_Liang
Level 3
Thank you for the reply!

I found out that BE 11d doesn't support SQL 2008 from other forum.

However, BE always works with Fedora since I use BE 8.6 six years ago. Even if it does not **OFFICIALLY** support it. Ralus 11d ran on this Fedora box for 6 months without any problem until I re-installed it.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Perhaps I am not clear earlier.   BE 11d does not support SQL 2008 and SQL Express 2008

For problem 1, there is not much details to go on.  You would have to provide more details,  Also, since this problem exists for a long time, did you ever open up a support case with Symantec?

Yujie_Liang
Level 3
Problem 1 happened 2 year ago but it happened once every several months. I did submitted a ticket to Symantec but they always claimed it was from Redhat side, even if there were several post pointed out the issue between ralus and Redhat x64. Since it didn't happen often, I just ignored it.

But it happened almost everyday now! What kind of information you need? I attach the last 100 lines of the ralus log. Hope this help.

Thanks for your reply!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

When the OS is not supported, it means that it is not fully tested by Symantec to work with BE.  If it works, you are lucky.  Otherwise,  you cannot open a support case with Symantec.

How do you know that the previous backups are good?  The backups may be incomplete and you may not be able to use them in a restore situation to recover your server.

Yujie_Liang
Level 3
The case I openned was between BE 11d and Redhat ES4 which is fully supported. Symantec couldn't fix the problem unfortunately.

What confused me were,

1). Why the backup on Fedora worked for half year then stop working just because re-installed BE? I didn't make any change on both media server and Fedora server. 

2). Why I can browse all folders in the Fedora server on the Select List but can not continue the backup with the same credential? If the Linux agent do not work, how can BE browse to the folders in Fedora server? Do they use different way to access to the Fedora server?

Because it shows a communication problem, I checked the firewall port 10000 which is openned on both media server and remote Fedora server. Port 6101 is openned on media server and closed on remote server.

To confirm whether BE worked with Fedora, I restored a folder from my previous backup on the Fedora server. All restored files are fine and completed.