cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

redirect Exchange restore

steve1712
Level 4

Hello there,

how can i redirect an exchange restore to a folder that i can get the DB files only?

we have migrated from exchang 2003 to 2007 and now there are some public folder contacts missing... and we want to check if they're in the last backup of the exchange 2003 (the old server itself is allready formated!)

i tried now to use the exchange redirect on local backupserver... when dooing this the remote agent services dies

when i want to redirect to folder on new exchange i get an error that my user does  not have enough user rights or login as batch job...  but i've checked this allready and i should have enough rights!

thx for suggestions and/or help!

Steve

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

steve1712
Level 4

Hello, sorry that i haven't reported earlier back...

i had no change to get the EDB files out of the Backup sadly...

But i found anothe way of extracting the needed Files...

First thing todo is to get the bkf files... if you aren't using B2D you have to duplicate the Tape to a B2D Device...

after that you need OnTrack Tools or what i used is the NetApp Exchange Snap Tools, the have just licensed the OnTrack....

with that Toolset you can directly open bkf Files and go directly inside the edb file and extract the single mails... etc..

Thx for helping anyway! hope someone would propably find my solution helpfull too!

Steve

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...you can duplicate to disk using my article below:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/restoring-exchange-or-individual-mailboxesitems-using-backup-exec-howto

This gives you what you need!

steve1712
Level 4

okey... but what than? i'm pretty sure i get b2d oder bkf files?

even one other things this solution did not work if you have to catalog the tape or?+

thx for help

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

As CraigV suggested you duplicate the backup set from tape to disk. If the backups taken were using the Granular Restore Technology (GRT) then it will create the IMG folder inside the Backup to disk folder where you have duplicated the data.

This IMG folder will contain the .edb and .stm files which are the database of Exchange 2003 which you require. Then you can use any third party software (please google out for the same) to drill into these database files and extract the required data.

Thanks,

-Sush...

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...if your tape you want to restore from is older than the catalog pruning job within BE (say 70 days old, and you prune catalogs 60 days and older), you don't have any other choice BUT to catalog the tape.

Once done, it creates the *.xml file and the catalog, allowing BE to see what is available on the tape. And from there you can run the duplicate job to "copy" the Information Store to disk before doing what you need too!

steve1712
Level 4

Hello,

i'm currently restoring... but i'm pretty sure the backup isnt done with GRT ... so will the edb files gets generated too?

thx

steve1712
Level 4

ok duplication now finished... but no edb files .... what now? any suggestions further more? 

thx!

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

The edb files are not shown which means that the backups are non-GRT backups. Could you check if the Exchange backups are snapshot backups in which case we can try to redirect restore to a physical folder on the any drive on the Exchange server. This option will work only if the backups taken are snapshot backups.

Well, if the backups are non-snapshot too then the only option I can suggest is to build another server and install Exchange 2003 in it and then perform a redirect restore.

Note: Actually Snapshot backups are not supported for Exchange 2003 backups.

Thanks,

-Sush...

steve1712
Level 4

Hello, sorry that i haven't reported earlier back...

i had no change to get the EDB files out of the Backup sadly...

But i found anothe way of extracting the needed Files...

First thing todo is to get the bkf files... if you aren't using B2D you have to duplicate the Tape to a B2D Device...

after that you need OnTrack Tools or what i used is the NetApp Exchange Snap Tools, the have just licensed the OnTrack....

with that Toolset you can directly open bkf Files and go directly inside the edb file and extract the single mails... etc..

Thx for helping anyway! hope someone would propably find my solution helpfull too!

Steve