cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

remote server crashes when attempting to install Backup Exec 2014 remote agent for Windows

Zedadiah
Level 3

I have a couple 2008 R2 servers that BlueScreen every time I try to install the 2014 remote agent for Windows. Tried push and manual. No erros logged in Windows, RAWSINST log not created. VC++ log contains this little beauty:

MSI (s) (E0:E4) [14:51:34:432]: SECUREREPAIR: Failed to CreateContentHash of the file: eula.1041.txt: for computing its hash. Error: 2

Do I have corrupt a VC++ package on my server?? If so, why did a dozen others work?

Complication/evidence: multiple Win2012 servers hung on reboot after agent install, but were fine after hard reset.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

long shot, but could be an issue with the AV itself.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...any AV installed? If so, try disabling it during the installation.

Have you tried a push-install or a manual install? You can always try the alternative to the 1 you have tried.

Thanks!

Zedadiah
Level 3

AV is Symantec, and it was not a problem on several other 2008 R2 servers. Just these two.

Tried Push and Manual. Same result. 45-60 seconds in, splat. Memory is dumping.

I'm going to rip all Symantec code out by the roots tonight, reg clean, reboot, disk check and try again.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

See this document for a possible solution

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH218124

Zedadiah
Level 3

Saw the MS hotfix possiblity--patch IS already installed.

Symptoms don't match either. I can't find anyone else reporting the remote servers crash when one attempts to install the agent.

I did try manual rip out, registry clean up, reboot and tried install again. Still crashes. Not sure where to go next.

Zedadiah
Level 3

I've now narrowed the problem to the vcredist installers. Anyone seen a server crash (BSOD) almost immediately after the installation of the c++ libraries begins?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

See this document for a solution.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH218124

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

long shot, but could be an issue with the AV itself.

Zedadiah
Level 3

That was it... tried it over the weekend. For some reason, the SEP client caused a hard crash on install of the C++ library packages. Pretty freaky stuff. Ripped out SEP, the RAWS agent installed without a problem.

VJware, are you able to get this info to engineering? Because I don't have a maintenance contract ("Not For Resale", donated license), I don't have an open case that would--I hope--communicate/refer this problem for further investigation. Thanks.