cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

restore *.edb and *.stm (exchange 2003)

zibippo
Level 2

I have backup exec 12.5 , I need to restore the edb and stm files not directly in information store in Exchange 2003  but I would like to restore them to a directory of my choice.
how can I do ?
3 REPLIES 3

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

You wont be able to restore .EBD and .STM backups through Backup Exec if you have taken the Exchange backup selecting Information Store and Storage Groups. If you have backed up .EDB and .STM files like flat files stopping Exchange services, then you will be able to restore them anywhere you want.

Hope this helps....

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
that is possible in 2 conditions:
1> if you have taken a snapshot backup then you can do the exchange redirection as file and restore the edb and stm file to your location but in that case the database will not be clean shutdown and you have to manually run the eseutil commands to make it clean shutdown.

2> IF you have taken a GRT backup and if it is on disk then ou have the edb and stm files there and you can copy them anywhere but again it will not be clean shutdown.
3> If the GRT backup is on tape you can duplicate the data on disk and you can get the edb and stm files but the database will not be clean shutdown and have to manually do the eseutil.

jeffwadsworth
Not applicable
Go to the Jobs section where your Exchange backup resides.  On the left pane, note the "duplicate backup sets..." hotlink.  Choose this and follow the wizard.  Make sure you have a "Removable Backup Disk Folder" set up for your destination drive, etc.  This actually restores the Exchange files as they appear on the Exchange server...for example; email.edb and email.stm, etc.  You can follow its progress as the files are copied to the drive.