cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

restore of individual mail message?

Jos_Kogeler
Level 3
I want to restore an individual mail message. Is there a possibility for finding the actual mail? The console only shows message size and subject line, but many mails have identical subject lines. Can one search by date or sender name? Using BE9.1, is functionality in newer BE versions better?
8 REPLIES 8

Keith_Langmead
Level 6
For simplicity I'd suggest simply creating a new dummy mailbox, and restoring all of the e-mails to that (or at least all of them from the relevent folder). Then you can open that mailbox and find the e-mail nice and easily using Outlook, rather than rely on the minimal information available through the restore selections.

Jos_Kogeler
Level 3
Thanks, that was helpful. But it still a roundaway, and time consuming method. Is there not a better way to find the relevant mails? Are saech inprovments planned for a next version of BE?

Keith_Langmead
Level 6
Don't know about v11, but certainly in v10 all you see are the subject lines and message sizes. I think this is basically because Backup Exec uses a work around to backup the mailbox items, so as far as it is concerned they are basically just files, so all it sees is the subject line as the filename, and the file size. Things like senders address, sent/received date are all properties within the mail message itself, so can't be viewed.

Can but hope that v11 will have found a work around to make it easier, but I wouldn't bet on it, though there may be a new technology in v11 for mailbox backups (have a vague memory of hearing something), but I'm not certain and don't know any details.

Rucha_Abhyankar
Level 6
Hello,

Please let us know if the earlier suggestinos have helped you in resolving the issue.

==================

Jos_Kogeler
Level 3
The suggestion given will help to restore individual messages if they are found betwen messages with identical subject lines and sizes. But it is a round-about way. If version 11 doesn't solve this issue, I will resort to a mail achieving solution such as GFI MailArchiver. They have superb searching capabilities

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello,
in the 9.1 Version you will have to backup bricklevel Mailboxes in order to restore individual mailboxes.
In 11 you have an Option to do the same even if you are backing up only the Information store.

You can go through the following Article as well:
Backup Exec 11d Best Practices Guide: Agent for Microsoft Exchange Server
http://support.veritas.com/docs/285753

Let us know if you need further help.

Thanks
Regards

A_van_der_Boom
Level 6
It all depends on how much you need to restore a single email, once in a few months or on a weekly basis. Purchasing separate software to search for them seems a little to much but that's up to you. You might consider to increase the retention time on your email server so deleted emails are kept, giving your users the ability to undelete them.

Regards
A van der Boom

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi,

one can not search by date or sender name in restore selection list but only the Name and size is being displayed.

Revert for any further Query

Thank you
Gauri