cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

restore only system state from complete backup

christophe_cand
Level 3

Hi,

I'm going to test a restore from a complete backup of my Windows server 2008 with Symantec backupexec 2012 from a tape drive.

I boot on the disaster recovery cd

I install the RAID driver

I load the recovery file *.DR

If I want restore the entire computer, the restore works !! no problem

My question :

Is it possible to restore only the system state from a complete backup ?

When I load the recovery file *.DR , I see my partition (C: system, D: data) and the system state but I can't uncheck the partition for only restore for example the system state.

The option "recovery the entire computer" is unchecked yet...

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

See this document

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO23132

Unless you are restoring AD, there is no need to put the machine in some special mode to restore the system state.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

I'd assume that the whole reason behind an SDR backup is to restore the entire server. You'd need to do a separate backup of the System State to restore it individually.

Thanks!

christophe_cand
Level 3

thank you for that clarification

pkh
   VIP    Certified
You don't need to do a backup of just the system state to restore it. You can restore the system state from any backup. However, note that when you just restore the system state you may end up with an unbootable system. This is because not the entire Windows directory is restored as part of a system state restore. It is always better to restore the entire C: drive and then the system state from the same backup

christophe_cand
Level 3

OK so in which case il'ts better to only restore system state ?

I think I'm going to do a complete backup of my server every day.

Do you think it's a good idea to reserve a special tape to make a backup with only C: drive and system state ?

pkh
   VIP    Certified
There is no need to reserve a special tape. Just do your backup as normal

christophe_cand
Level 3

As I said in previous message, I can't restore only C: drive and system state from a complete backup maked with symantec backup exec so if I wish to restore C: drive and system state without change DATA, so I guess it's necessary that I have another tape to backup C: drive and system state.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I can't restore only C: drive and system state from a complete backup maked with symantec backup exe

As previous advised, if you don't use SDR and do a manual restore, you can restore the C: drive and system state from any backup.

christophe_cand
Level 3

how can I make a manual restore ?

I have to boot on the option (F8) "repair computer" or "restore active directory" ?

Can I use Symantec backup exec on this mode ?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

See this document

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO23132

Unless you are restoring AD, there is no need to put the machine in some special mode to restore the system state.