cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

restore sql database

Tim_Henley
Level 3
How do I restore from tape an sql database to an empty drive so that I can then send the database to a software developer to work on. Everything I have read seems to point at restoring it to it original destination or restoring to a new server??

Regards

Tim
6 REPLIES 6

Mark_Littell
Level 4
The biggest question:
Restore the .bak file or restore the .mdf and .ldf files?

Restoring the bak file requires a file redirection.
Restoring the .ldf and the .mdf files require the same SQL server named server.

Or you can run a backup via Enterprise Manager to a location and then send that file.

Or are you doing something else?

Tim_Henley
Level 3
It would be the mdf and ldf, we have a problem with the database that the developers want to look at, we don't want to take our SQL server off line to do a backup from sql so we were looking at taking a copy of the databases from the backup tape and send that.

It looks more like we will have to run a backup from SQL now which means they will have to wait for a couple of weeks till we have a quiet time to shut sql down.

Tim

Mark_Littell
Level 4
The SQL server does not need to be shut down to do a backup. Actually, the SQL server can't do a backup if it is shut down.
I run backups everyday in the middle of the day. The server just takes a snapshot of the DB and backs that up, not disrupting access.
I would think your SQL server does nightly or at least weekly DB backups. These are needed to commit the transactions to the database.
Are you sure your system is not currently running backups?
you can check in Enterprise Manager \ SQL Server \ Management \ Database Management Plans or in Enterprise Manager \ SQL Server \ Management \ SQL Server Agent \ Jobs and see if jobs are currently set to run.
SQL 101 management rules are to run backups, optimitizations, and Integrity checks often; i.e. daily, weekly. I can�t believe your company does not follow these guidelines.
Then depending on how active the database is, you would also setup / run transaction log backups.

aravind_kondapa
Level 6
There are two backup methods:
-online backups that require the sql licence. These backups can be restored only using a compatible backup software.
-offline backups that require the sql services to be stopped. You take in this case the backup (copy) of the 'mdf' and 'ldf' files.

You can either send the mdf and ldf files to your development team.
Or you can send the backup tapes and ask them to restore from tapes.

NOTE: If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Mark_Littell
Level 4
Tim,
How did it go?
Which method did you end up using?
ML

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Tim,

Update us on the status and revert for any further Query

Thank you
Gauri