cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quantum SATA DLT-V4 drive not being detected

Brian_Marshall
Level 3
Hi

Brand new server installation with a Quantum SATA DLT-V4 drive. The drive is detected by the O/S and when I run the Veritas installation the device drivers are also installed by the software installation but on the next window it does not detect the device. I have disabled remote storage within the O/S. I have downloaded a new driver from your website and also spoken to Quantum and went through varous setting but they said it looks like a Veritas issue. I need support on this please as this is out of the box and does not work
10 REPLIES 10

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Hmmm

if you shut down all the BackucpExec services, does NTBackup see and access the drive OK?

Brian_Marshall
Level 3
Hi

Yes SBS 2003 can see and access the device without any problems. Also Veritas installs the drivers but when I go to the next screen no device is displayed

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
What happens if you install teh windows drivers, then run TAPEINST, let it find the drive, and tell it to use existing drivers rather than installing the Symantec drivers?Message was edited by:
Ken Putnam

Brian_Marshall
Level 3
It detected the drive and then updates the ini file and then when I try and run the device wizard no drive detected

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello Brain,

- Which ini File are you talking about here?

- Could you also check the following:
* Removable Storage System should be stopped and preferably deactivated
* SCSI IDs of the device should be between 2-5.
* The Device should be attached to a SCSI controller and not a RAID Controller.
* The latest Drivers and Firmware should be installed.
Please confirm that the above Points are true in your Environment.

- Also confirm if the Device Configuration Wizard of Backupexec recognises the Device.

- You could try powercycling the Device and the Server once, in the following way: * Shut down the device and the Server.
* Start the device first. Wait for 2 whole minutes till it is completly initialised.
* Then start the Server.

Hope that helps you.

Please let us know the Outcome.

Thanks
Regards

Brian_Marshall
Level 3
Hi

I was talking about the veritas.ini file when I run the tapeinst.exe file.

Removable storage is stopped and disabled.

The tape drive is a SATA drive.

The driver set was from Quantum but I found that there was a Veritas driver BackupExecTapeDeviceDriverInstall20051104_280068.exe file.

I had to delete the 3 quantum drivers from my server and then run the veritas exe but at the very last moment the installation fails and rolls back but it does update the device with a veritas driver odttape.sys

The veritas device wizard does detect the driver hence the problem i have.

Brian_Marshall
Level 3
I have just found another veritas driver install file but yet again it fails to install. what i am now seeeing is the driver 0dlttape.sys is on the Driver Protection List for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 and it can cause issues. Does veritas have acorrddct driver for Windows 2003? Do I use the Quantum driver?

thx inadvanced

Brian_Marshall
Level 3
Any other help?

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

Do you receive any event ids like 7,9,11,15 in the system event logs?

Thank You,

Shweta

Brian_Marshall
Level 3
there is not event ID's in the log