cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

restore to a non-dc not working!

Lilee
Level 4

hi,

i'm having a b2d with a full backup of a windows 2008 server (including system state, shadow copy components). This backup was performed on another media server. 

Now i have to rebuild the backed up server. I installed the same OS version, use the same name, but when i do a restore, it creates only new folder under the C:\ drive like:

COM+ Class Registration Database

Registry

and so on ...

it's not a system restore! it's creating only folders that's it...

what's going one ??? 

8 REPLIES 8

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

If you are trying a DR of the server try below steps

1) Install same OS and service packs as it was earlier.

2) Assign same name and IP address

3) First restore C drive from the latest backup set and then the system state.

4) Once restore is done reboot the server and then restore remainig drives. 

Lilee
Level 4

Hi AmolZeroCool,

Thank's for your post!

I do not try a DR. . . 

I'm trying to rebuild a server (i have a full backup of it on b2d) because the server has been stolen, so i have a new one, with the same OS installed, using same hostname, and i would like to do a basic restore to the state from the b2d backup, and as far i understand right, in case it's not a DC you can run the basic restore, but it's not overwriting the registry and so on, it's creating only folders under the C:\ drive . . . 

Please help me out with this :\

pkh
   VIP    Certified

To rebuild your server, you need to

1) install the same version of OS

2) restore the C: drive

3) restore the shadow copy component

4) restore the system state.

5) reboot the server.

Did you do steps 3 onwards?

Lilee
Level 4

Hi pkh,

but do i have to restore first the C: drive, reboot the server, then restore the shadow copy component, reboot and the SCC ?

do i need to go in to the Windows server recovery mode or not ?

Thank you.

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

First you need to restore C drive and then System state + shadow copy componenets.

Reboot the server once the above completes successfully.

No need to go in recovery mode

Lilee
Level 4

guys, the problem is that the server was in let's say domain (test.local) backup was done with BE 12.5 in that domain.

I'm in domain (backup.local) running BE 2010 R3 and trying to restore the server to a new windows server 2008 installed in that domain(with the same name, and with Remote agent installed on it).

Isn't it like that the i would have to join the rebuild server in the same domain like it was previously and run the restore than? Because i tried before the File Redirection, please help !

Thank's a lot guys

pkh
   VIP    Certified

The procedure that I have given is the way to rebuild a server.  If you do not want to restore the C: drive, then  you don't need to restore the system state.  Giving your new server the old server name is sufficient.

The idea of restoring a server is to return it to the state it was when the backup was taken.  Hence the need to restore the C: drive and the system state which comprises a lot of OS components and settings.  When you restore the system state, the registry is restored. As you well know, a lot of application settings are kept in the registry which is why you need to restore the C: drive with all the application files first.

I am not sure what you are trying to accomplish by not restoring the C: drive.  If you are looking for a way to upgrade the OS, then BE is not the way to go.

Lilee
Level 4

Where did i say that i do not won't to restore the C: drive ???

I see that you simply don't understand.

Please mark this as closed, as i don't wont lose more time for explanations,.

thank's anyway.