cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

restoring Exchange 2000 mailboxes

Andrew3
Level 2

Need to restore 4 Exchange 2000 mail boxes backed up to tape by BackupExec 9.1 for Windows in 2005.

We no longer even have Exchange 2000 in our office.

Currently, we use Exchange 2010.

We do a have a single machine running Windows 2003 server and running BackupExec 9.1. Using that machine, a BackupExec catalog was built for the tapes housing the mailboxes and we can see that the mailboxes are definitely on those tapes.

How can I restore those mailboxes to a PST file or to our existing Exchange 2010 server?

We want to avoid setting up a machine from scratch with Exchange 2000 on it.

Thanks

Andrew

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Mmm...that would be a GRT-type restore and I don't think that BE 9.1 had that functionality.

The only other way to do this is going to be to set up a stand-alone server with Exchange and Windows, along with BE 9.1. Catalog the tape, and then restore the mailboxes to the Exchange server you have temporarily installed.

Once done, grab the data out of there using some Exchange tool...

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Better to get some insight from Exchange forums...

I don't think what you are trying to do is possible. 

pkh
   VIP    Certified

No.  You cannot do it.  Architecturally, the different versions of Exchange are not compatible.

CraigV

...you can stage to disk as per my article below. This would give you the flat files. Once there, look at a 3rd party application to crack open the *.edb and pull whatever you want out of that into a *.pst.

Kernel for Exchange works well for this:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/restoring-exchange-or-individual-mailboxesitems-using-backup-exec-howto

Thanks!

Andrew3
Level 2

CraigV: We are using Exchange 2010 now. The Exchange Info Store that was backed up was from Exchange 2000 back in the year 2005. Wouldn't that be a problem in your solution? In addition, we are also using BackupExec 9.1. I think I will try your solution anyway.

CraigV

Mmm...that would be a GRT-type restore and I don't think that BE 9.1 had that functionality.

The only other way to do this is going to be to set up a stand-alone server with Exchange and Windows, along with BE 9.1. Catalog the tape, and then restore the mailboxes to the Exchange server you have temporarily installed.

Once done, grab the data out of there using some Exchange tool...